BE factory shopping

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

slats

BE factory shopping

Post by slats »

on my way out to portland for glass shopping....my first time there. Any suggestions as far as purchasing...best buys, places to go etc....
Carol Silrum

Post by Carol Silrum »

Lucky you! From experience I know that I always wish I would have bought more -- seeing the glass in person is so much better than buying from a catalog/internet. I have kicked myself sometimes for not getting something I saw and liked -- so go for it!! :wink:
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

You are talking about stock, not art right? If so then plan to spend LOTS of time looking in the curious bins at BE. They put things in there that fuse slightly off the standard color or that might have some ripples or bumps or flaws outside the norm. There are some GREAT deals there--I got a bunch of red there once which was so little different from the standard I can hardly tell (and you know how expensive red usually is!). I also found a very cool color of yellow green and...well a bunch of other stuff and I was thrilled with it all. Oh and take the tour of the factory too and head over to see the Bullseye Connection Gallery--its worth the trip.
Amy
Carla Fox

Post by Carla Fox »

Plan on visiting Powell's Bookstore. It's like no other. It's sorta in the same neighborhood as the Bullseye Gallery. It's one square block, 3 stories of books. They shelve used books with the new ones so you can get all sorts of great deals. Be sure and check out their art book collection.

Have fun! It's a grand city.

Carla
Mary Kay Nitchie

Post by Mary Kay Nitchie »

Amy on Salt Spring wrote:You are talking about stock, not art right? If so then plan to spend LOTS of time looking in the curious bins at BE. They put things in there that fuse slightly off the standard color or that might have some ripples or bumps or flaws outside the norm. There are some GREAT deals there--I got a bunch of red there once which was so little different from the standard I can hardly tell (and you know how expensive red usually is!). I also found a very cool color of yellow green and...well a bunch of other stuff and I was thrilled with it all. Oh and take the tour of the factory too and head over to see the Bullseye Connection Gallery--its worth the trip.
Amy
Hi Amy--

I'm glad that you had such a great time in Portland--for doctac and others who may be planning to visit Portland and Bullseye, here are some details that might be helpful for your planning:

The Bullseye Connection is open from Monday - Friday 10 am - 6 pm, Saturday 10 am - 5 pm. Starting April 1, the Bullseye Connection is also open Sundays from 12 pm - 5 pm. The new Bullseye Connection (which is also sometimes called the Resource Center, or RC) is now located next to the factory at 3610 SE 21 Ave. Portland OR 97202. If you are planning to select less than 30 full sheets of glass (curious or top grade), and need tools, books and other supplies, this is where you want to go. No appointment necessary. It's a store. Website:
http://www.bullseyeconnection.com/

The factory (next door) is open to visitors by appointment only. If you need more than 30 sheets (curious or top grade), this may be the place for you. Please call at least a week in advance to learn more about the factory's warehouse services and lead time required for fulfilling these larger orders. The warehouse is not a store, so the process for fulfilling orders is a little different. Call 503-232-8887 (M-F, 8 am to 4:30 pm) and ask to speak to a factory salesperson to learn more about factory purchasing requirements.

The Bullseye Connection Gallery is in the Pearl District and is well worth visiting. Open M-F 10 am to 6 pm and Saturday 10 am to 5 pm.
Our gallery website-
http://www.bullseyeconnectiongallery.com

Definitely go to Powells (the main store is a few blocks from the gallery). When my parents used to visit (they live here now) they would drive straight from the airport to Powell's to pick up books before they would even come to my house!

Mary Kay
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.
http://www.bullseyeglass.com