float and devit

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lynne Chappell

float and devit

Post by Lynne Chappell »

I'm doing an experiment with float (not too familiar with it). I laid a bunch of small pieces and frit piled up on a 1/4" base, with some fine colored frit and dammed it. I originally programmed for 1550 with a 10 minute hold, but it wasn't flattened out, so I added time and temp and ended up at 1580 over about 15 more minutes. It flattened out somewhat, but it didn't flow on the surface like BE or Spectrum. There was of course some devit which was expected but I really want it to flow out to a smooth surface.

Will it flow if I take it higher and faster, or do I have to add some devit spray or flux or something to make the surface flat?
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: float and devit

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Lynne Chappell wrote:I'm doing an experiment with float (not too familiar with it). I laid a bunch of small pieces and frit piled up on a 1/4" base, with some fine colored frit and dammed it. I originally programmed for 1550 with a 10 minute hold, but it wasn't flattened out, so I added time and temp and ended up at 1580 over about 15 more minutes. It flattened out somewhat, but it didn't flow on the surface like BE or Spectrum. There was of course some devit which was expected but I really want it to flow out to a smooth surface.

Will it flow if I take it higher and faster, or do I have to add some devit spray or flux or something to make the surface flat?
Yo Lynne

Its not as flowy at the other posh glass U mentioned

Yes flux of some sort will help it flow n prevent that lovely devit

My current method is 2 increace temp slowly at 20 c hour

Formaly Dvit Boy
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

borax spray will help it flow but it will not act like "fusing' glass. rosanna
Dave Pascoe

Post by Dave Pascoe »

Hi lynne,
I work with float a lot and I`d say that you need to soak for a bit longer.Float doesn`t seem to flow like BE for example.I`d go up to 1520 but maybe come up from 1200 to 1520 quite slowly,try 100 dph.Then cool quickly from 1520 to 1200 and anneal as usual.
I don`t seem to have devit problems,not yet anyway!!!!!
Hope this helps,dave.
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

Thanks for the tips. I thought I should heat rapidly to help avoid the scum on the surface which seems to get in the way of the flow. You see, I don't have a solid sheet surface on top, but a pile of frit of various sizes. This seems to cause a lot more trouble than a solid piece. I think I'll have to break down and throw in some borax or maybe some of Brian's flux, if I can remember what he uses (and translate it from the English).

What I'm trying to get is a look like frothy waves. So the devit is OK - it adds to the look, but I want the surface flat. If I can't get it with the frit on top, I'll have to add a thin cap of clear, but I'm afraid the bubbles in the gaps in the frit might get large and ugly.

Lynne
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Lynne Chappell wrote:Thanks for the tips. I thought I should heat rapidly to help avoid the scum on the surface which seems to get in the way of the flow. You see, I don't have a solid sheet surface on top, but a pile of frit of various sizes. This seems to cause a lot more trouble than a solid piece. I think I'll have to break down and throw in some borax or maybe some of Brian's flux, if I can remember what he uses (and translate it from the English).

What I'm trying to get is a look like frothy waves. So the devit is OK - it adds to the look, but I want the surface flat. If I can't get it with the frit on top, I'll have to add a thin cap of clear, but I'm afraid the bubbles in the gaps in the frit might get large and ugly.

Lynne
Once U got the devit it will get worce n stop the glass flowing

The borax should stop the devit

Fast fire is one method U could use