AIM or JENKEN brands?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

molly

AIM or JENKEN brands?

Post by molly »

I think I have narrowed my kiln search down to two types. I am looking for a small kiln, to fire fast and do jewelry items. I have found the JEN KEN bead annealing kiln to be a good one, and I just found a better price on a PERFECTLY sized AIM brand jeweler's kiln. Does anyone know which brand is better? Or are they comparable? I need to make a wise choice, as this is my FIRST new kiln. My other 2 were purchased used. Thanks! Any advice will be appreciated.
Lyn

Post by Lyn »

I have an old very small front loading Aim jewlery kiln and if yours does not have elements in the door expect a difference in firing from the front to the back of the kiln. Mine full fuses in the back and contour fuses along the door. With only a pyrometer I have to keep exacting firing schedules, that last 5 minutes and 25 degrees makes alot of difference.
http://community.webshots.com/user/lynfeu
molly

Post by molly »

OH MY! If I can fuse glass HALF as beautiful as yours, I will be THRILLED! Did you do those pieces in the AIM kiln? I really am not a fan of "set it and forget it" type controllers. I LIKE having to check on the glass, and be careful, memorize firing schedules and temps, etc. To me, it is a large part of the artistic pleasure in doing something, and not having a machine do it for me. No offense to those who use controllers, as I am sure they are wonderful. I just like doing things "from scratch" whenever possible. I use an infinite switch and pyrometer, but that's it. I really think the AIM kiln is just what I need, but I want to be sure no one has had problems with them too soon. If it is a brand that needs alot of repairs, and/or has bad customer service, I will hesititate to buy. I just bought supplies from a glass company online that not only ignored my order for over a week, but got it wrong to boot! Needless to say, I will NOT be ordering from them again. I like good service!!! LOL!
Lyn

Post by Lyn »

Thankyou Molly,
Yes my pendants were done in the Aim kiln, Mine is most like model 1186 (8" x 9" x 6" inside) John has been very responsive to my questions. his wife does jewlery so I'm sure they answer any questions.
1-800 aim kiln http://www.aimkilns.com
Lynn Bishop

Post by Lynn Bishop »

Aim will work with you and put elements any where you want.
daffodildeb

Post by daffodildeb »

I traded my 8x8 Aim for a custom 12x12 square Aim with a controller, and I love it! One of my particular problems was the inability to have my house rewired which many of the kilns in this size range call for. I was able to get mine ordered with two separate wires which I had made long enough to go into two separate circuits. THAT I could do.

Also, I really needed something easier to haul upstairs to my work area :^o (okay, okay, it's a converted bathroom, but it sounds so much better!). Again, my kiln works out well because it comes apart in rings, and it was a cinch to just take each piece up, rather than trying to lug about 70 pounds without breaking it or me! #-o Each of the two rings has an element, so I can fire with one or both. It's tall, too--a lot taller than the old kiln, but I can't remember off hand what the interior height is. There is a third non-power ring for the bead door.

Still another thing I like is the increased heat I get. This baby burns! Even large pot melts are a breeze. And since I also do beadmaking, I needed a bead door as well as the top lid. Again, part of the specs.

I don't have any experience with the other brand, but I've very satisfied. My only complaint was the lengthy delivery time, but then again, it wasn't off the shelf.
Deb
molly

Post by molly »

Thanks for all the advice. After researching a bit, I have decided they are BOTH excellent kilns, but I am getting the AIM. It is EXACTLY what I need, and the price is reasonable. This will be kiln #3!!! I am becoming a "collector". HA! This really does turn into an obsession. My house shows it too! We no longer eat in the kitchen, which is a 15 X 25 room....it is filled with boxes of glass, and the kitchen table is my "work area". Kilns are in the middle of the floor, etc. Only my dogs and cats eat there now. My living room corner is filled with boxes of wire, glass cabochons, a small drill press that holds my grinder, as well as all my pliers, hemostats, etc. I guess my art is more important to me than a neat and tidy home..... LOL!