Pigment of my imagination?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Ron Coleman

Pigment of my imagination?

Post by Ron Coleman »

I've been watching colors develop in Bullseye glass and I'm trying to understand the reason. I'm familiar with the process of "striking" for red and orange opal glass and see the results often.

Is it the same process when other colors seem to develop after firing a time or two?

Example, single rolled French Vanilla, a little puny on color before firing, develops into a saturated opal after firing.

Ron
Dani

Post by Dani »

What a clever name for a painting show.... Pigment of My Imagination. :lol:
Brock

Re: Pigment of my imagination?

Post by Brock »

Ron Coleman wrote:I've been watching colors develop in Bullseye glass and I'm trying to understand the reason. I'm familiar with the process of "striking" for red and orange opal glass and see the results often.

Is it the same process when other colors seem to develop after firing a time or two?

Example, single rolled French Vanilla, a little puny on color before firing, develops into a saturated opal after firing.

Ron
I don't really know much about this Ron, but i think the colour is in a colloidal suspension, and reheating alters it. Maybe! Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
dee

Post by dee »

Ron Coleman wrote:I've been watching colors develop in Bullseye glass and I'm trying to understand the reason. I'm familiar with the process of "striking" for red and orange opal glass and see the results often.

Ron
i'm always curious why there isn't a good magenta or fuschia in the color lines of any of the fusible, and why the most intriguing ring mottles don't handle fusing well - no i've not tried them but i've been told they don't like going to full fuse but i would love to fuse a layer of ring mottles to a layer of irid or dichro....
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

dee wrote: i'm always curious why there isn't a good magenta or fuschia in the color lines of any of the fusible, and why the most intriguing ring mottles don't handle fusing well - no i've not tried them but i've been told they don't like going to full fuse but i would love to fuse a layer of ring mottles to a layer of irid or dichro....
D
In my experience, ring mottles do something like what Ron is describing. I mistakenly ordered a BE white ring mottle before I was familiar with the glasses. Fortunately the sheet worked out to be compatible, but it fired up a solid white and my pretty little mottled glass was no more.

A really grand purple would be nice as well...a true, saturated opaque purple. Not lavendar, not gold purple, not too blue, not too red...

Could it be that these colors are either out of fashion or hard to make?

Now I have to find out what colloidal suspension means :?:
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Brock wrote:colloidal suspension
That sounds like something they look for when doing a colonoscopy...
Dani

Post by Dani »

Cynthia wrote:
dee wrote: i'm always curious why there isn't a good magenta or fuschia in the color lines of any of the fusible, and why the most intriguing ring mottles don't handle fusing well - no i've not tried them but i've been told they don't like going to full fuse but i would love to fuse a layer of ring mottles to a layer of irid or dichro....
D
In my experience, ring mottles do something like what Ron is describing. I mistakenly ordered a BE white ring mottle before I was familiar with the glasses. Fortunately the sheet worked out to be compatible, but it fired up a solid white and my pretty little mottled glass was no more.

A really grand purple would be nice as well...a true, saturated opaque purple. Not lavendar, not gold purple, not too blue, not too red...

What, you want a queenly Royal purple?? Keep dreaming and don't ask.... the makers will just say, "we have a gazillion purples to choose from, what are you looking for? You don't like what we have? Yada...". No. Deep, royal, queenly purple. Oh, and did I mention gradations within a purple family? Without dinosaur size jumps? Oh, and here.... another minor detail. I can get them from the maker in, say, less than one year after ordering. Okay, I go now. It's bedtime. I'll dream. About purple. Purple glass. Queenly purple glass. :wink:
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Amy on Salt Spring wrote:
Brock wrote:colloidal suspension
That sounds like something they look for when doing a colonoscopy...
I never understood that thread on the old board where they were talking about rectifiers. Is this the same thing?
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Cynthia wrote:
D

Cynthia,

Ring Mottles are made by rolling the sheet glass on to a cold table as opposed to a hot table, which is the normal process. The combination of the cold table and uneven surface causes localized cooling on spots on the glass which causes the rings. This is also the reason they are not fuseable in the sense that the design dissapears when heated and then cooled evenly.

Phil
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

It is my vague understanding that opalescence is somewhat related to devitrification. Refiring can intensify the effect. The existing crystals simply grow more.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

From the WG Dictionary
Colloidal suspension:
When a solid is mixed into a liquic in so small particles that they do not settle with time, they are in colloidal suspension.
Metal particles in colloidal suspension are used to color glass.
A liquid to liquid can also be colloidal suspension, like in mayonnaise. see colloidal silica.
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

It's wonderful to have this place where we can ask a question, offer ideas or answers, get information, corrections, additions, make jokes...discuss and learn...even argue.

Thanks for adding some new info to my library folks.

Wouldn't it be grand to hang out with the makers of the glasses we use and learn all about it from their end? Then I'd figure out how to make that opaque purple...not too blue, not too red...
Amy on Salt Spring

lauri wrote:From the WG Dictionary
Colloidal suspension:
When a solid is mixed into a liquic in so small particles that they do not settle with time, they are in colloidal suspension.
Metal particles in colloidal suspension are used to color glass.
A liquid to liquid can also be colloidal suspension, like in mayonnaise. see colloidal silica.
My husband says that milk is a colloidal suspension. Just figures he would know what a colloidal suspension is... :roll:
-A
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

i'm always curious why there isn't a good magenta or fuschia in the color lines of any of the fusible, and why the most intriguing ring mottles don't handle fusing well - no i've not tried them but i've been told they don't like going to full fuse but i would love to fuse a layer of ring mottles to a layer of irid or dichro....
D[/quote]

I just got a sheet of BE's new striking violet (totally unrelated to shrinking violet). What an intense color..just beautiful...and so is the price tag. I ordered a sheet without asking $$$. Holy Moly!! :o - Barbara
Barbara J Cashman
http://www.glastile.com
Glass Tile Manufacturer
Amy on Salt Spring

Barbara can you describe it more? The previous purples either had too much of a smoky look for me or were too dark--what does this one look like?
-A
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Amy on Salt Spring wrote:Barbara can you describe it more? The previous purples either had too much of a smoky look for me or were too dark--what does this one look like?
-A

I'm not Barbara...and it isn't an opaque, but it's very, verypretty and it's also code 'F' for Frighteningly expensive. And although it's a very lovely shade of purple, and if the color is accurately reproduced in this image(doubtful), it's too red. Call me picky, perfectionistic, trouble... :shock:
Dani

Post by Dani »

It's very lovely, but more a red violet than a blue violet.... lovely visual effect though and definite church window material.
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

Everyone wants shades of purple that don't exist. If you stop and think about it, not only is it tricky to find the right metals to tint glass, but these shades are at the end of the visual spectrum. We tend to think of color in a circle, like the color wheel. You know: Blue, Bluepurple, Redpurple, Red. Actually red is at one end of a linear spectrum and purple is at the other end. So it's really not all that surprising that these colors are not easy to achieve. Take your basic set of paints and just try to mix magenta from them. Sometimes I think that's why it's such a mystical color, it doesn't truly exist, it's an illusion.
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Lynne Chappell wrote:clip:
Sometimes I think that's why it's such a mystical color, it doesn't truly exist, it's an illusion.
The Murex Snail Protection League's going to flame you for that.
lohman

Post by lohman »

A couple of people ask me repeatedly for something, anything, in royal purple. I keep telling them repeatedly purple is hard to find. Now I'll tell them about this discussion, I'm sure they think I'm not looking very hard (or lying!)