Cutting a Circle

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

artisand

Cutting a Circle

Post by artisand »

Hi,

I just received my handy-dandy circle cutter but no instructions. I just scored a beautiful, even circle. Now what? How do I get the circle out of the glass. I've tried tapping. I cut a score into the circle line and broke some of the border off. Is this how it is done. Seems like I might break my circle that way. Help! Please.

Sharon
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Try the circle cutting tutorial on Patty Gray's website. http://www.pattygray.com. It's also on the Spectrum website.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
artisand

Post by artisand »

Thanks, Tony. Just what I needed.

Sharon
Dani

Re: Cutting a Circle

Post by Dani »

artisand wrote:Hi,

I just received my handy-dandy circle cutter but no instructions. I just scored a beautiful, even circle. Now what? How do I get the circle out of the glass. I've tried tapping. I cut a score into the circle line and broke some of the border off. Is this how it is done. Seems like I might break my circle that way. Help! Please.

Sharon
After a few hundred circles, you will easily be able to do this... but, first try Patty's way for sake of your pocketbook. :wink:
Tim Swann

Post by Tim Swann »

I have used the method that Patty shows and it works very well for transparent glass. When you start using this method with non-transparent, or thin glass it can get a little more difficult.

Tim
AZ gram

Post by AZ gram »

So, any suggestions for opals and others when cutting circles?

I, too, use Patty's method and have good luck with the cathedrals but difficulty with others.
Debinsandiego

Post by Debinsandiego »

When I'm cutting a circle in an opal glass, I'll score using my circle cutter, flip the sheet over, and apply pressure to the areas where I scored. With luck and practice, and the RIGHT amount of pressure, I will then see the back side of my score.

It's getting that scored circle to show on the back side that's the tough part. The amount of pressure and where to apply on the back of the score, that's some thing that WILL bet better with time and practice.
Deborah
Suzan

Post by Suzan »

After scoring the circle on light coloured opals, I use a black marker over the score line. This black lines shows up well over a light box.

On dark opals, I use the circle maker with a marker (mine comes with a separate attachment for this) and guessing as best I can where the centre is, I mark the circle on the other side. I'm always off by a bit, but it seems to work anyways.

Cheers,
Suzan
Tim Swann

Post by Tim Swann »

I have used the same method that Susan recommends. It can be very nerve racking for the first time, but you get betted at estimating were the score line is located.

Tim