painting woes

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

lauren

painting woes

Post by lauren »

i got my ferro starter set and have been experimenting, i've used their medium and also tried clove oil. i'm having a couple issues tho that are frustrating me:

1) some sections are 'blistering', for lack of a better term. all bubbly and almost burnt looking. am i applying the paint too thick? firing too high? combination of both? i fired to 1480 and held for about 10 minutes. paint didn't seem too thick, but i have no experience in painting so i really have no idea. i've been mixing it to a consistency comparable to craft paint. is it better to paint on multiple thin layers or one thick layer? how thick should the paint actually be? what proportions should the paint, medium and water be mixed at? so far i've tried mixing the paint with enough medium just to get it wet, then adding water to get the desired consistency.

2) the flux thing has me gone for a loop. how much flux vs how much paint?

i think all my other issues are just with painting itself, since i've never done it before i kinda suck. but i'll work on that. the blistering effect has me worried tho. any help would be appreciated.
Nickie Jordan

Post by Nickie Jordan »

Lauren-
I was was of the fortunate ones to take Bert's painting class in Oregon, but an expert I'm not.
As I recall, the blistering may mean your paint is too thick.
The paints are 'pigments with ground glass as a flux'. The flux is just that- ground up glass. I tried using too much 'flux' on one project during class and it washed out the pigment.
Hope this little bit helps.
- Nickie
lauren

Post by lauren »

ah, thanks - i'll try less paint next time.

so wait, one always has to use flux? i thought it had something to do with making the enamel 'transparent' (flux=clear enamel) if i don't want that, can i get away with not using flux? i guess i should find out what it is.

o, another question i didn't mention before - i'm keeping all my paints in my two room apartment. when i'm not using them they're in plastic bins, and when i'm using them i have a respirator - but i'm living with the stuff. ok? not so ok? i've been thinking about getting separate studio space for a while now so this could be the kick in the pants i need....

thanks
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Nickie got it right. Blistering is simply caused by too thick a layer of enamel. Simply apply less.

Flux is clear enamel. You don't need to use it at all, unless you want the color to be thinner, or possibly glossier. A thinner application of the strong colored enamel effectively does the same thing.

Another possible use of the clear is to cap the enamel in order to increase gloss or seal in any lead and cadmium. These are normally not necessary steps. The chrome greens tend to be not glossy though.

With a little bit of experimentation you should be able to focus in on a technique that matches the style of painting you are comfortable with.

Care and handling of the enamels is fairly simple. Mix only what you plan to use. If you are raising dust wear the respirator. Don't pick your nose or suck your fingers, with enamels on your finger...
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

The blistering could also be the result of overpainting an area that is dry but not yet fired. As the paint sets and dries in the medium it tends to be denser at the bottom next to the substrate, and when the next layer goes-on, it settles a bit unevenly as well resulting in a eveninity colloidal rectifier situation.
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

excuse me: its 'evenivity' â„¢