Slumped clear bottles with pictures on the back - how

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

tel

Slumped clear bottles with pictures on the back - how

Post by tel »

do you get a picture adhered to the back so you can see it through a clear slumped bottle. I think it looks great, but am uncertain as to how to do it.

Also, what is a good product to wash kiln wash off of slumped bottles. I've tried glass cleaner etc and it still looks dirty.

I appreciate the help.

Tess
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Tess,

You can apply labels, etc. to the back of a bottle with decopauge.

As far as the kiln wash goes, try not firing so high so the kiln wash doesn't stick to the glass.

Judy
hoknok

Post by hoknok »

I will grind mine off with a steel brush attached to a drill. Use a mask and eye protection. You can also use steel cleaning pads but it will take much longer. In your next fire, you can also try 110-J Fiber Paper that you can purchase on this site in the Online Catalog section. I also have found that sprinkling a light dusting of sand works and its easy to knock off after the fire... provided you do not fire real high to actually melt the glass arround it. But it will not leave a smooth surface on back.
\
Mike
"Oh Captain, my Captain... help me see things in other ways and attain heights few tread."
Dead Poets Society
tel

Post by tel »

Thanks Judy and Mike, I really appreciate the input! I'm new at this and learning as I go along. Need all the help I can get!

Tess
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Basically all you have to do to get a picture on the back or front of a bottle is glue it on with a glue that won't make the ink run on the picture you are gluing on then put a protective coating over the side of the picture that isn't attached to the glass. This can be decopuge likr Judy said, laminate, any sealer, actually I know of people that use a glue called Better than Great Glue for sealing things. You have to use what works best for you.
Nanc
Pat Loboda

Post by Pat Loboda »

Lime Away works for removing fiber paper from the back of bottles. At least it worked for me when only a little bit of fiber paper stuck.

Pat Loboda
Pat Loboda

Post by Pat Loboda »

Oops! I think it also works for kiln wash.

Pat L.