Pot Melt devit

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Luiza

Pot Melt devit

Post by Luiza »

Hi
Are there any chances of makimg kiln casting from a pot melt, with float glass, without devit? Can I add Borax to the pot?
Thanks
Luiza
Colin & Helen

Post by Colin & Helen »

I 've used float glass for casting... the results are a bit hit-n-miss..the heat required isn't very kind on the mould and devit is still a problem.

My method is crush sheet float then change the eutectic balance by adding flux in the form of borax then colour with cobalt carbonate .. melt this mix in a crucible until the surface looks shiny and liquid ...then quench this molten glass in H2o.. This frit is ready for casting,..........

A word of warning... this glass / borax mix will bubble and spit .. so shield your kilns elements....and making frit is very dangerous

Colin
Tim Lewis

Post by Tim Lewis »

Luiza,

It will require higher temperatures than Bullseye, etc. and to avoid devit you will need to "crash" the temp below that tempt range fairly quickly. Borax will probably not make any difference in the divit because it will probably burn off before devit shows up. On the other hand it might prevent it on the way up, reducing the problems when you are done. Try two pots at the same time with only one with borax.

Good Luck
Tim
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Pot Melt devit

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Luiza wrote:Hi
Are there any chances of makimg kiln casting from a pot melt, with float glass, without devit? Can I add Borax to the pot?
Thanks
Luiza
Flux oxides etc

Will assist inthe melt n reduce devit

But it is more aggressive on the shelf

It can actualy eat in2 batwash

n even well in2 the shelf

:mrgreen: