Annealing Issue

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

EmmaPicton

Annealing Issue

Post by EmmaPicton »

During a high fire (pot melt) my kiln decided to go fizz pop in quite a dramatic way. Due to this none of the glass in there was annealed properly. I'm hoping that you're going to tell me I can reuse this glass in another high fire but have a feeling you might say the opposite.

Is my glass lost forever, or can it be saved?

Much appriciate your thoughts, thanks,

Emma
BillBrach

Post by BillBrach »

If the glass formed into the object that you were trying to make, and if it survived the cool down, then there is no reason you cannot bring to back up for an anneal soak and ramp down.

The only thing to take into account is the size and thickness of the object. You might have to ramp it slowly to keep from cracking it.
Visit my Art Glass Answers forum
[url]http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum
Tim Swann

Post by Tim Swann »

I agree with Bill. If there are no cracks in the piece, then refire. Take the fuse or slump very slowly to avoid cracking.

Tim
EmmaPicton

Post by EmmaPicton »

The melt was at the beginning of its soak time, so apart from a small amount that came out (and has broke completely in two), I have a plant pot full of glass. If I'd wanted it to anneal like that I'm guessing it would have needed a couple of weeks in the kiln.

As it is a pot melt, it wouldn't matter if it cracked in the pot on the way up to high fire, but would there still be a risk of cracking after a refire? Will it remember the lack of annealling from the previous fire?

Desperate not to loose my precious bullseye!

Thanks for your advice

Emma
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

EmmaPicton wrote:The melt was at the beginning of its soak time, so apart from a small amount that came out (and has broke completely in two), I have a plant pot full of glass. If I'd wanted it to anneal like that I'm guessing it would have needed a couple of weeks in the kiln.

As it is a pot melt, it wouldn't matter if it cracked in the pot on the way up to high fire, but would there still be a risk of cracking after a refire? Will it remember the lack of annealling from the previous fire?

Desperate not to loose my precious bullseye!

Thanks for your advice

Emma
Heat it up again. Bullseye claims that their glass can be cooked at least 3 times without significantly shifting COE. Beyond that it is a crapshoot.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

I would heat it up again. It should be just fine. It won't remember that it wasn't annealed the first time. Since it has been up to "high fire" (you didn't tell us what the top temp. was) BE's statements on compatability/color shift are already out the door. Don't worry. I fire my high fires at a minimum of 3 times and sometimes upwards of 8 or 9 times.

Amy