Tempered Art Glass?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

draco_myst

Tempered Art Glass?

Post by draco_myst »

OK . . . one other major question for today from someone new to all of this. I was advised that if I ever got into making sinks (or other architectural pieces) that I should have good liability insurance for the obvious reasons. In my web travels, I notice a few large glass companies that do architectural art glass work indicate that their panels are tempered. Can the studio glass artist temper their own panels (or sinks?).
Rich

Vernon, CT
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

No. Art glass will not temper because it has bubbles in it and different colors heat and cool differently.

It can be laminated but that would be hard with a sink.

ch
draco_myst

Post by draco_myst »

So then I guess the "safest" thing to do would be to place the art glass behind a clear sheet of tempered safety glass (with a space in between) if used in a door where it would be at a height where someone might fall against it? I guess the sinks are just an unavoidable risk?
Rich

Vernon, CT
Bert Weiss

Re: Tempered Art Glass?

Post by Bert Weiss »

draco_myst wrote:OK . . . one other major question for today from someone new to all of this. I was advised that if I ever got into making sinks (or other architectural pieces) that I should have good liability insurance for the obvious reasons. In my web travels, I notice a few large glass companies that do architectural art glass work indicate that their panels are tempered. Can the studio glass artist temper their own panels (or sinks?).
I routinely temper my art glass. It is kiln cast with a singlelayer of 10mm float glass. I have to make my shape capable of "riding the rollers" in the tempering oven and the total thickness including relief must be under 1" I have this done at a tempering factory.

I don't quite understand what companies who claim to sell tempered glass sinks do to temper them. It would require a set up that perfectly matches the shape of the bowl. There is no place to have this done on a custom basis and it seems to me that it would be cost prohibitive to set up. Perhaps they are doing chemical tempering.

There is no code requirement for a sink to be tempered. There are dozens of companies that produce annealled glass sinks. Be careful, that's all.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
draco_myst

Post by draco_myst »

Thanks Bert! I'm in Connecticut. Would you happen to have any suggestions on where I might find a company that does tempering that I might use when the time comes?
Rich

Vernon, CT
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Bert Weiss wrote:
I don't quite understand what companies who claim to sell tempered glass sinks do to temper them. It would require a set up that perfectly matches the shape of the bowl. There is no place to have this done on a custom basis and it seems to me that it would be cost prohibitive to set up. Perhaps they are doing chemical tempering.
An interesting link from Schott, about tempered sinks.

Be sure and click on all the "blue blocks" at the top of the page to see all the information.

http://www.us.schott.com/tgd/english/la ... index.html
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

draco_myst wrote:Thanks Bert! I'm in Connecticut. Would you happen to have any suggestions on where I might find a company that does tempering that I might use when the time comes?
I love Vernon CT. I NEVER drive through Vernon without stopping at Reins Deli. It is just about half way from my house to Philadelphia and there is no better deli I know of further north. Maybe in Montreal??

I use a company in MA called Contract Glass Services, in Wilmington MA 800-649-9957 They do not pick up or deliver. Solar Seal is closer to you in South Easton MA 800 225-0430 they are much pickier about what they will temper. Ask for Gerard Walsh.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
draco_myst

Post by draco_myst »

Thanks Bert!
Rich

Vernon, CT
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Ron Coleman wrote:
Bert Weiss wrote:
An interesting link from Schott, about tempered sinks.

Be sure and click on all the "blue blocks" at the top of the page to see all the information.

http://www.us.schott.com/tgd/english/la ... index.html
Nice sinks. What they need is more artists on their design team.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*