WG@BE3 back on track for 2003

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lani McGregor

WG@BE3 back on track for 2003

Post by Lani McGregor »

Firstly, let me say that I’m awed at Brad’s stamina at mounting yet another conference! And encouraged (as always) by the tremendous positive response from all of you on the board.

Prior to Brad’s post about WGW2, he and I (and Brock) had discussed the possibility of BE hosting WG@BE3 in Portland again. At first it seemed impossible, given our commitment to doing our teachers’ conference (BECon, Aug 1 – 3) out here and all the other activities (SOFA/Chicago; a WGW in DC etc). After discussions with Brad, Brock, and the BE team, we have decided not to lose the momentum of our prior two years. So….

WG@BE3 WILL happen. It will be structured similarly to the first two competitions/exhibitions from 2001 and 2002. The main differences:

1. The funding by Bullseye will go toward Purchase Awards. The winning pieces will be purchased by BE and will become part of the Corporate Collection. (For all of you looking for CV-filler)

2. A catalog will be produced to document the show. (More CV-filler)

3. The exhibition will take place at the new Bullseye Connection Resource Center with an Opening Reception in early to mid-November 2003.

4. Initial jurying will be by digital images and slides through Brad and – most likely – the previous group of jurors.

5. Final jurying will happen in Portland with a group of (non-BE) local and national arts authorities.

Obviously in the early stages of all these events, much is figured out on-the-wing. I will be in contact with Brad over the coming weeks in order to formalize this event. For the moment, the details above and the procedures from WG@BE1 and WG@BE2 may serve as a general roadmap.

So…. off we go …. 2003 is obviously going to be an action-packed year for kilnformed glass from coast to coast. Thanks to all of you for your efforts and enthusiasm.

Cheers, Lani
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Sheesh Lani! The minute I plan a party on a big boat you go and twist up my travel plans again . . . does Eddie-The-Crazy-Cat babysit?
Cindy next door

BE3!

Post by Cindy next door »

Woo Hoo! I was just talking to Jackie about it. I didn't know what I was going to try and enter. I already had an idea in mind.

Thanks for making it happen Lani. :D
Cindy next door
Lani McGregor

Post by Lani McGregor »

Jackie Beckman wrote:Sheesh Lani! The minute I plan a party on a big boat you go and twist up my travel plans again . . . does Eddie-The-Crazy-Cat babysit?
"Have attitude, will travel" Crazy Eddie will go anywhere, do anything. For blood. Watch for him on Lake Michigan with his stash of Dramameanies.
Lani McGregor

Post by Lani McGregor »

OK, from private emails I can tell I've managed to confuse a few newcomers to the board.

WHAT IS/WAS WG@BE?

It was/is an annual competition/exhbition of kilnformed glass that that has been co-hosted by Bullseye Glass and Brad's Warm Glass board since 2001.

You can read about how the last competition was structured here:

http://www.warmglass.com/WGBEII.htm

Others from this board might explain more about what WG@BE is/was to them. Like the proverbial perception of the elephant by the blind men, it was probably lots of different things to different folks.

To Jackie B., for instance, it was an opportunity to cuddle up to my homicidal cat, Ed.
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Lani McGregor wrote:OK, from private emails I can tell I've managed to confuse a few newcomers to the board.

WHAT IS/WAS WG@BE?

It was/is an annual competition/exhbition of kilnformed glass that that has been co-hosted by Bullseye Glass and Brad's Warm Glass board since 2001.

You can read about how the last competition was structured here:

http://www.warmglass.com/WGBEII.htm

Others from this board might explain more about what WG@BE is/was to them. Like the proverbial perception of the elephant by the blind men, it was probably lots of different things to different folks.

To Jackie B., for instance, it was an opportunity to cuddle up to my homicidal cat, Ed.

That was the first year Lani. Last year it was an opportunity to be mistaken for a hooker while walking over to the connection in that outfit - and of course to swipe a Gerber Daisy from you
Lani McGregor

Post by Lani McGregor »

Jackie Beckman wrote: That was the first year Lani. Last year it was an opportunity to be mistaken for a hooker while walking over to the connection in that outfit - and of course to swipe a Gerber Daisy from you
Sheesh! Of course - how'd I ever mistake a streetwalker for a cat-fight?

So, how do you intend to amuse us in 2003? :o :lol: :?
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Lani McGregor wrote:
Jackie Beckman wrote: That was the first year Lani. Last year it was an opportunity to be mistaken for a hooker while walking over to the connection in that outfit - and of course to swipe a Gerber Daisy from you
Sheesh! Of course - how'd I ever mistake a streetwalker for a cat-fight?

So, how do you intend to amuse us in 2003? :o :lol: :?

Well, actually Lani, I say we go with your Pinata idea - it works for me. :twisted:
Bonita (Nita) Crawford

Post by Bonita (Nita) Crawford »

Please pardon my obvious ignorance. Does this mean there will be
a Warm Glass @BE in November and also a WGW in or around
Washington, DC, in mid September?

Whatever it turns out to be, thank you, Lani, and BE for being so kind
to all of us. I want to work doubly hard on my entry so maybe I'll
get a chance to see all that wonderful glass at your home. You are
going to carry on your tradition of hosting a Brunch, aren't you?

Warmly,
Nita
Lani McGregor

Post by Lani McGregor »

Bonita (Nita) Crawford wrote:Please pardon my obvious ignorance. Does this mean there will be
a Warm Glass @BE in November and also a WGW in or around
Washington, DC, in mid September?

Whatever it turns out to be, thank you, Lani, and BE for being so kind
to all of us. I want to work doubly hard on my entry so maybe I'll
get a chance to see all that wonderful glass at your home. You are
going to carry on your tradition of hosting a Brunch, aren't you?

Warmly,
Nita
Yes, there WILL be a WG@BE3 in Portland in November. As to whether there will be a brunch and home tour at our house, I'll have to ask Eddie. He hasn't recovered yet from the huggies he suffered from a guest two years ago... (he's building a Pinata and decorating it with Gerber Daisies as I write) :twisted:
Bonita (Nita) Crawford

Post by Bonita (Nita) Crawford »

Lani,

I promise to admire him from afar. As for the daisy covered pinata,
it would be worth a trip to Portland just to see Eddie decorating it.
Great talent must run in the family.

Warmly,
Nita