Warm Glass Weekend Update

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Michael McNerney wrote:Hey Ron Coleman
I found a flight from columbus to elmira for about $182 roundtrip on US Airways. Do ya wana share a rent a car from elmira to corning?
Unless you just want to drive around the area, you won't need a car once you get to the hotel. Everything is within easy walking distance.

Cabs from the Elvira airport are about $30 and there's a local train line that's under $20.

I'll have more information about this sort of thing online in a couple of weeks.
Marty

Post by Marty »

rdguy wrote:
Marty wrote:whoopee! 4 and 1/2 hours due west by motorcycle!
Hey Marty,

You gonna ride too??

http://ca.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rd_ ... m=5f30.jpg

Woo hoo!

Glenn

If the weather looks ok, of course!
Moto Guzzi Boy

(For some reason, I couldn't get the pic to post, just the URL...)
Clifford Ross

Post by Clifford Ross »

Hey Bert- - - Drive to Corning in about 7 1/2 to 8 hrs from your house. It took me 8 hrs flat to your place from Philly at Thanksgiving for the ' cleanup'. Cliff 8) :wink: :P
Cher

Post by Cher »

Bert Weiss wrote:Corning is really in the middle of nowhere, on the Pennsylvania border. The closest Southwest Airline city is Buffalo. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia make a triangle with Corning. Check out maqpuest for maps and driving directions.

I found an airfare to Elmira for $270 (from Portland ME). The alternative for me is a 9.5 hour drive each way. Tough decision. If I drove with several other people, it might make the drive look attractive. I am thinking that we need an extra day to see the Corning museum after the conference.
But a beautiful and interesting middle of nowhere. It was an 11 hr 11 min drive for me, divieded into two days for ease. One day for Corning museum might be cutting it short...... what I wouldn't give to be going.... :cry:
>^..^<
Leslie Ihde

warm glass week end

Post by Leslie Ihde »

Brad,

I's so glad you're picking Corning for the warm glass week end. I think you'll be very pleased. The Radison there is geared toward glass with glass displays in the lobby. Market street has one of the largest bookstores specializing in glass- your sponser Whitehouse books, and the Corning Museum of Glass has one of the largest collections of glass work-historical and a large science section as well as modern glass art. People should know that Ithaca, which has wonderful waterfalls, is about 30 minutes away. Unfortunately, the difficulties of the Corning company have hurt the Corning area- another poorish but beautiful upstate area, and some of the galleries on Market street have had to close, but all in all a wonderful choice for the WGW.

Leslie
Leslie Ihde
Turning Point Studio
Vestal, New York
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Leslie,
Are you going to open your studio for us?
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman
Leslie Ihde

Post by Leslie Ihde »

Stuart, my studio is an hour and 1/2 away, but of course I would welcome any warm glasser. Binghamton airport and Ithaca airports should be considered for those travelling. Leslie
Leslie Ihde
Turning Point Studio
Vestal, New York
tob

Post by tob »

A couple of other things that should also be considered for those traveling to Corning and who have some extra time for exploring are the Rakow Library and Watkins Glen State Park.

The Rakow Research Library is part of the museum and is worth planning at least an extra day for anyone with an interest in glass research. They have a tremendous collection on all aspects of glass which includes a huge number of books, periodicals, videos, and slides, as well as other materials. The librarians are extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the collection. The library is open on weekdays until 5 PM. They are closed on weekends.

Watkins Glen State Park is about 15 minutes from Corning by car and encompasses a 1 1/2 mile long gorge that was carved out by glaciers. There is a walking trail that runs alongside and the gorge contains 19 waterfalls of varying heights. It is pretty spectacular: http://www.llbean.com/parksearch/parks/html/292lln.htm

Just down the street from the lower end of the trail is Seneca Lake, the widest and deepest of the New York Finger Lakes. The lake is so deep that the Navy has a submarine research facility there. There are also a number of wineries in the hills alongside the lake. It's worth the trip if you have the extra time and is on the way to Ithaca.

I live an hour to the west and go to Corning on a regular basis. If you have any specific questions about the area, feel free to ask.

Brad S. (The other Brad)
Leslie Ihde

Post by Leslie Ihde »

Hello Brad S.,

I second your remarks about the library and the area. I go to Corning often also, but I am an hour east. I also want to put in a plug for the other waterfalls in Ithaca- Tremain, and Buttermilk, but especially Tremain, which has an upper and lower section. The Tremain waterfalls have a marvelous gorge with a 4 mile walk down then up the waterfall.

One comment about the Rakow Library- I have done research there, but forgive me if I am terribly library ignorant, but isn't the case that you have to kind of know the topics you want to research pretty throughly? I found that you can't browse there, but have to ask the librarians for articles on what you want and then they go and retrieve it for you. Maybe it has changed since I was last there, but that's what I remember. I like browsing in libraries like book stores sometimes. They did have several videos in a variety of topics- I remember one by Bullseye which showed you their glass formation- kind a like a factory tour without flying to Portland.

Leslie
Leslie Ihde
Turning Point Studio
Vestal, New York
tob

Post by tob »

Leslie Ihde wrote:Hello Brad S.,

I second your remarks about the library and the area. I go to Corning often also, but I am an hour east. I also want to put in a plug for the other waterfalls in Ithaca- Tremain, and Buttermilk, but especially Tremain, which has an upper and lower section. The Tremain waterfalls have a marvelous gorge with a 4 mile walk down then up the waterfall.

One comment about the Rakow Library- I have done research there, but forgive me if I am terribly library ignorant, but isn't the case that you have to kind of know the topics you want to research pretty throughly? I found that you can't browse there, but have to ask the librarians for articles on what you want and then they go and retrieve it for you. Maybe it has changed since I was last there, but that's what I remember. I like browsing in libraries like book stores sometimes. They did have several videos in a variety of topics- I remember one by Bullseye which showed you their glass formation- kind a like a factory tour without flying to Portland.

Leslie
Hi Leslie. I agree about Ithaca. It is certainly worth the trip if someone has the extra time.

The Rakow Library has undergone some major changes over the last several years, including moves to two different locations. For the last couple of years they have been in what is now their permanent location next to the Museum. During the period when they were in their interum location on Market Street, it's true that one couldn't browse the book stacks and had to ask a librarian to retrieve material. That has now changed and a large part of the stacks are once again open to the public. If something in the special collections section is needed a librarian still must be asked to retrieve it.

The Rakow Library is a fantastic resource that I think many people are unaware of. Here's a quote from their website about the scope of their collection:

"The collection contains approximately
• 40,000 monographs,
• 1,000 active periodical subscriptions,
• 20,000 auction sale and trade catalogs,
• 16,000 titles in microform,
• 200,000 slides,
• 1,200 videotapes, and
• Several hundred drawings, prints, photographs, posters, and designs."

Now here's the kicker that very few people know about. The Rakow library catalogs recently went online and are now accessible over the internet. So now all the stacks are browsable from anyone's home computer (assuming it has an internet connection). Because of this someone can do a lot of his/her initial research from home, which saves a bunch of time in the library. I've been spending a lot of time hunting for info via computer recently and have found some gems that I previously didn't know existed. Although sometimes I hate living in the middle of nowhere, being close enough to Corning to take advantage of the Rakow makes up for it.

http://www.cmog.org/page.cfm?page=138

Brad S.
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

For those of us that will not be able to attend--will there still be a WG@BE3 separate from the Conference?
Amy
Brock

Post by Brock »

Amy on Salt Spring wrote:For those of us that will not be able to attend--will there still be a WG@BE3 separate from the Conference?
Amy
I think that is still being planned. Bullseye's move to a new Resource Center complicated the timing. Let's hope it happens. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
gone

Post by gone »

There's a shuttle from the Elmira airport to Corning. I think it was $18.
tob

Post by tob »

Something I forgot to mention in my last post about the Rakow Library. Guess whose book they use as an example in their tutorial on using the online title search...

http://rakow.cmog.org/help/CG_searchtypes.htm#title

Brad S.
Gibsons

Post by Gibsons »

Warm glass weekend sounds great.
I live on the West coast so will have to wait untill there is one out here.
I think there are similar weekends in Portland or Seattle organized by the same people.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Gibsons wrote:Warm glass weekend sounds great.
I live on the West coast so will have to wait untill there is one out here.
I think there are similar weekends in Portland or Seattle organized by the same people.
The original WarmGlass Weekend was in Portland in 2002, then it was in Washington, DC in 2003. Those are the only other weekends organized by the "same people".

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
TrishV

Post by TrishV »

Nobody's mentioned flying into Rochester. It's an easy and beuatiful drive from Rochester, NY to Corining. It takes about an hour if I remember correctly.

TrishV
tob

Post by tob »

Rochester is about an hour and 15 or 20 minute drive, depending on driving speed (watch for State Troopers parked under overpasses). The airport is about 90 miles from Corning and is much larger than the little one at Elmira (which is 8 or 10 miles from Corning). As you said, it is a nice drive from Rochester. All lightly travelled highway through a rural countryside. It is certainly a viable option for someone willing to rent a car and see the countryside.

Brad S.
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

For those flying into Rochester, don't miss Peter McGrain's large stained glass window installation in a waiting area of the airport, complete with a row of wooden rocking chairs.
Nikki
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

I am in Ithaca and if anyone has questions about flying in here and then driving to Corning I can answer them. I am an easy (and scenic) hour from Corning and would be happy to open my studio to attendees. Hope to meet many of you in person then.