Warm Glass Weekend Update

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Havi

warm glass weekend

Post by Havi »

1. It might be difficult to get from Corning to Elmira, especially if there are many people leaving at the same time - I was there, and could'nt get a taxi to the airport, about 20 minutes before my flight took off (after a class at the Studio). The Hotel manager drove me in his own car...
Perhaps it should be taken into consideration

2.The weekend mentioned is the Jewish New Year - 16-17 September, it might be a problem for some people. ??
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com
Bert Weiss

Re: warm glass weekend

Post by Bert Weiss »

heruviva wrote:1. It might be difficult to get from Corning to Elmira, especially if there are many people leaving at the same time - I was there, and could'nt get a taxi to the airport, about 20 minutes before my flight took off (after a class at the Studio). The Hotel manager drove me in his own car...
Perhaps it should be taken into consideration

2.The weekend mentioned is the Jewish New Year - 16-17 September, it might be a problem for some people. ??
The conference weekend is between Rosh Hoshana and Yom Kippur. Going there will not interfere with attending services at home before and after. It does however prevent me from offering classes directly before or after the conference. I have been considering the week after Yom Kippur if people are still hanging around on the east coast and want to come up to NH in late September. It is a nice time of year here.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Hey everyone!!!! I'm getting excited (again) about the conference. Have never been to that neck of the woods and really look forward to seeing familiar faces and meeting new ones.
Bert: you had mentioned about going to the Corning Museum after the conference (or before)..... I would love to get together with a group and do that.
Message to Brad (and Jody): I am still interested in helping with making auction paddles if that is the way you want to go. Also, I would like to see something set up for people if they want to go with groups to museums or galleries. Maybe have a table with a schedule of tours, etc. where people can sign up if they are interested with their room and phone no. so if they want to go somewhere after conference, they can go with people. One of the things I found for myself last year, was I felt a little lost with things to do after the conference days. It was kind of a hit and miss situation where I would have to try and seek out someone to go out for supper with later. I also got there a day early, so I ended up having a good time by myself downtown (I have no problem doing things like that in a strange city), but there may be people out there who don't feel comfortable getting on a subway train by them myselves and exploring on their own.
Just some suggestions from little old me
See you guys again soon. :)
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com
Leslie Ihde

Post by Leslie Ihde »

Hi Kathy,

I'm sure Brad will answer you, but as someone who is very close to Corning and goes often, this will be a different situation than the last Warm Glass Week-end. You can walk from the hotel to market street, and walk across the bridge to the museum if you want. It's so small, that everyone will be together anyway. But I would also think that getting to know one another could be encouraged. Maybe people would be willing to bring slides of their work and each person could introduce themselves and their work for 5 minutes the first evening or something.

Leslie
Leslie Ihde
Turning Point Studio
Vestal, New York
Marty

Post by Marty »

Leslie Ihde wrote:Hi Kathy,

Maybe people would be willing to bring slides of their work and each person could introduce themselves and their work for 5 minutes the first evening or something.

Leslie
I like that idea- three minutes might be better- and give Brock the gong.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Marty wrote:
Leslie Ihde wrote:Hi Kathy,

Maybe people would be willing to bring slides of their work and each person could introduce themselves and their work for 5 minutes the first evening or something.

Leslie
I like that idea- three minutes might be better- and give Brock the gong.
I like that idea too, you guys should do it.

I'd love the gong Marty, but we'll be at Vitrum.

Let me play Jaye P. Morgan next year in the south?

Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

I've been read all about the up and coming WGW in Corning. It is a few hours away from me so I might be able to come. What should I expect? I am fairly new (about a year) to the board and have no idea what I should expect other than a good time. Are there classes and if so what should I expect to pay for a class. I want to know all about one of these weekends so if all works out that my husband and I can attend I will be ready. Thanks a bunch Nanc
Marty

Post by Marty »

Brad- how about "Show and Tell" at WG3? I volunteer to moderate.
3 minutes max. per participant? We'll need a microphone, a laser pointer, a timer, and lots of beer.
This will NOT be a critique session. (How about offering that as a sign-up? And I'm definitely not volunteering for that! There must be someone at Corning... Bill Gudenrath?)
Linda Reed

Post by Linda Reed »

Marty wrote:Brad- how about "Show and Tell" at WG3? I volunteer to moderate.
3 minutes max. per participant? We'll need a microphone, a laser pointer, a timer, and lots of beer.
This will NOT be a critique session. (How about offering that as a sign-up? And I'm definitely not volunteering for that! There must be someone at Corning... Bill Gudenrath?)
Keep talking guys... I'd decided I couldn't afford a WGW on the east coast two years running... (So what's with that Brad :?: )

You keep upping the incentives, I might start negotiating with the glass funds... (typically my deal with myself at this point of my glass is I can spend what I make to further the outfitting of the studio or the artist - tools, classes, shows ...all better end up revenue positive or at least nuetral). :(

I keep trying to up the shows to up the revenue so I can attend more so I can learn more so that when I say Serious Now I will have the internal and external tools to make it happen. It's a long range goal :lol: But, you guys start doing stuff like Show and Tell at Corning... that could be a Need To See thing.... Care and feeding of a long term goal is not easy.
Dani

Post by Dani »

Marty wrote:Brad- how about "Show and Tell" at WG3? I volunteer to moderate.
I suppose it would be kind of tacky to create the group NGR submission (to be submitted under an as-yet-to-be-determined moniker) right there at Corning, wouldn't it? Then again, maybe the vibes would give it an extra chance of being accepted. :twisted: