Warm Glass Dictionary

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

i offer to read for typos when you get a little further along, if you need another set of eyes. ditto to Charlie's notes.

thanks to everyone working on this project -- i can see it's a lot of work!
Lauri Levanto

Thanks Kitty

Post by Lauri Levanto »

The next revision I'll like to send to you first for proof reading. I know my English is awkward,
not to speak about my typing skills.

-lauri
Ed Burck

Re: Wikipedia

Post by Ed Burck »

lauri wrote:I know the wikipedia, though I have no hands on experience on it. It was in my mind to put the dictionary in it.

As Brad mentioned, 100 persons editing the draft
may cause more confusion. maybe when we have something
stabilized...

The greatest worry is forth and back editing. We have already arguments about the term frit.
Good point. Though a Wiki is a great tool for collaboration, this sounds like an effort where you really need one person coordinating. Thanks for taking this on.

Ed
------------------------------------
Gratitude.Respect.Responsibility.
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

Couple of thoughts on a-c:

Blister - perhaps should be bubble on the surface of the glass rather than "within" the glass

Borosilicate - also used extensively by lampworkers doing sculptural work, bracelets, pipes, even beads. Pyrex is a borosilicate glass.

COE - I'm probably going to get in trouble here, but I understood the importance of close COE to be in the stability of the glass in the temperature range in which it will live the rest of its life. I do know that COE is measured from ? to 300F. So I don't think it is so that "cooling does not induce stress", but that the glass expands and contracts at the same rate when exposed to changes in environmental temperature.
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

Brad Walker wrote:
charlie holden wrote:If you put the dictionary on Wiki software everybody could edit it directly. It is up to the community to police the posts.
Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but the thought of over a hundred people editing the same document is enough to make me shudder. Have you participated in this wiki thing before?
I guess it's kind of a zen thing. You have to be okay with giving up control. I've added some things to Wikipedia. All I really did was clean up some minor details that someone else had left unclear. It takes some guts to erase something that someone else has written, so you tend to be precise about what you write.

I can see that if someone had an agenda they could reek havoc. Someone that wanted to push a particular commercial brand for example. What happens is that stuff just gets fixed. The community ends up exerting lots of influence over the long term.

ch
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

thoughts on d-k

KlyrFire is actually made as a medium for enamels and is only incidentally used as a glue.

Flux - in soldering it has the same purpose as in melting glass, it lowers the melting temperature of the solder and allows it to flow.

Dichroidic - I've never seen it spelled this way, only as Dichroic.

Enamel - doesn't enamel also include ground glass?

Fibre board and paper - I think using the term "cardboard" is a really misleading term, there must be a better word to describe what it is like.

"Refractory - Materials that tolerate high temperatures and do not react with glass in mould mix " - I don't understand what this means.

"Separator - a compound that prevents the glass reacting (sticking to) a mould" - I think this would be less confusing if it read "glass sticking to a mould", the term reacting usually means something else to most people.

Striking - I would define this as a glass which changes color on heating.

"Translucent - Glass that is transparent in material but surface pattern distorts the view thru. " I would define translucent as glass that allows some light to pass through but is not transparent. I don't consider textured transparent glasses to be translucent, but opal mixes that aren't too dense are translucent. Sort of liking have a sheet of vellum between you and the light. Heavily textured glass is usually referred to as "Obscure" where I come from. I also have difficulty with definitions of cathedral glass. It has many different interpretations. Some refer to all machine rolled transparent glass as "cathedral" glass, some call all colored transparent glass "cathedral". I personally avoid the term.
And Transparent is not just glass you can see through - it can't have opal in it, in other words "cathedral" glass. The glass that Spectrum calls "Wispy": do we call that Transparent, or Translucent? It would be nice to have some of these inconsistencies agreed upon by everyone in the industry.
froggee501

Post by froggee501 »

Breakers -

Molds -

Also, maybe this has already been suggested, or is in use but I didn't see it... but maybe have the terms link to threads that explain the term in great detail... for an infomaniac like me, dictionary definitions are too terse.

Emma
Brock

Post by Brock »

There is an 8 page glossary, with hundreds of entries in the back of Graham Stone's book. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
ellen abbott

Post by ellen abbott »

Etching: eroding the surface of glass with some form of hydroflouric acid OR sandblasting

etching is not a specific process but a result.

Pate de verre: using fine to medium frit (no larger than BE frit size 2) with a binding agent to make a paste and filling the mold. Literally translated, pate de verre means 'paste of glass'. No paste, no pate de verre. It doesn't have to be full fused to be pate de verre although the French artists who coined the term did full fuse theirs. You can use a paste of glass to fill your mold to get colors in specific places or make specific patterns and fuse only to the tack stage so that the individual grains are visible...it is still pate de verre.

Frit cast: the use of loose dry frit to fill a mold and then cast to full fuse.

E
ellen abbott

Post by ellen abbott »

Charlie Holden wrote:
...so you tend to be precise about what you write...reek havoc...
Havoc stinks?!? Actually, it's 'wreak havoc'.

Sorry Charlie, I couldn't resist.

E
Katia T.

I used it!

Post by Katia T. »

Thanks Lauri
I have used the dictionary!
Maybee you can include flint and quartz...
Katia
Lauri Levanto

MOved to the dictionary by lauri

Post by Lauri Levanto »

atershed

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:26 am Post subject:

OK, just for the dictionary-esque definitions.

Quartz: Pure ish silica crystals (this is the most dicey, please correct if necessary)
Silicon: And element on the periodical table, mostly found in various combinations, commonly Sand.

SilicA: A generic name for silicon dioxide. Silica covers the gamut of purities/impurities etc. Silica sand is generally a purer form of regular
sand.

Flint: In the potter's lexicon, and olde glass, Ground sand or silica flour. Available in several mesh sizes, a founding father of Silicosis aka
White lung. in the olde dayes, Flint glass was window glass. Presumably because they used ground sand (flint) instead of raw sand (Sand).

Greg
hoknok

Post by hoknok »

Hey, where is the definition for Spab? :wink:
"Oh Captain, my Captain... help me see things in other ways and attain heights few tread."
Dead Poets Society
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

tell me and I'll include it
-lauri
peter cummings

warm glass dictionary

Post by peter cummings »

I think "etch" is the process as it is used for printing plates, as well as the light polishing, frosting, the shading and cut through design of flashed glass, and the deep "rotting" of Maurice Marinot. I"m just really glad that engraving hasn"t been put under etching as it often is.I'm working on a fuller description for engraving that includes the cameo carving, through intaglio , stipple and all between.Sorry to sound pedantic but my pidgeon-hole is quite large when you look into it.
Great to have an accessible dictionary, a lot of great work, thank you.
peter cummings.
Lauri Levanto

Thanks Peter

Post by Lauri Levanto »

I'll keep etching and engraving separately,
but I would appreciate very much if you can contribute
some entries in engraving techniques.

-lauri
barbarak

Dichroic

Post by barbarak »

Can someone give me the "hooked on phonics" version of how to say Dichroic?? :lol:
Barbara
charlie

Post by charlie »

Main Entry: di·chro·ic
Pronunciation: dI-'krO-ik
Function: adjective
Etymology: Greek dichroos two-colored, from di- + chrOs color, literally, skin
1 : having the property of dichroism <a dichroic crystal> <a dichroic mirror>
2 : DICHROMATIC

die crow ick
Bev Brandt

Re: Dichroic

Post by Bev Brandt »

bar^bar^a wrote:Can someone give me the "hooked on phonics" version of how to say Dichroic?? :lol:
Die - crow - ick ("die" is a long "i")

Slight emphasis on the "crow"

- Bev
Bev Brandt
barbarak

Post by barbarak »

Thanks! (I've just got to get 'out' more often! :lol: )
Barbara