Warm Glass Dictionary

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Brad Walker
Site Admin

Warm Glass Dictionary

Post by Brad Walker »

Thanks to Lauri Levanto, we have a preliminary draft of an online dictionary of kiln-forming terms. Please check it out and let us know what you think.

This is a draft, not a final version, so comments are encouraged. If you have suggestions for improvement, terms to add, or corrections, please note them in this thread.

Here's the page: http://www.warmglass.com/Dictionary-11.html
Last edited by Brad Walker on Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bert Weiss

Re: Warm Glass Dictionary

Post by Bert Weiss »

Brad Walker wrote:Thanks to Lauri Levanto, we have a preliminary draft of an online dictionary of kiln-forming terms. Please check it out and let us know what you think.

This is a draft, not a final version, so comments are encouraged. If you have suggestions for improvement, terms to add, or corrections, please note them in this thread.

Nice job Lauri!

I read through and one of these days, I'll edit my idea of the changes, there are a few.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Brad Walker wrote:Thanks to Lauri Levanto, please note them in this thread.
Thank you Lauri.. I have reviewed A, B, and C.

Base... the top piece is not always a pattern. It can be another color like Cathedral Pink over a light purple.

Binder.. there are also binders in Refractories ie fiber boards, fiber papers, thin fire, Vermiculite board ect. Sometimes these should be burned off first before using.

Blank.... does not have to be a cast piece ... sometimes the base piece is called a blank.

Cathedral.. often is not fusable wiht other colors of the same brand... Ouch thank goodness that is not true in Fusing glass, ie Bullseye fusable, Spectrum's, Uro's ect.

Compatability test...... tet should be test.

When I spend time on the rest of them, and look to see if others should be added would you like them in the thread or would you like me to e-mail them to you?

Stuart
Bev Brandt

Post by Bev Brandt »

Very nice! Thank you both.

Does it make sense to add CTE to the COE entry? I believe Graham Stone's book refers to CTE and some of my engineer pals refer to CTE as well.

- Bev
Bev Brandt
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Stuart Clayman wrote:When I spend time on the rest of them, and look to see if others should be added would you like them in the thread or would you like me to e-mail them to you?
Put them in this thread. We know the version of the dictionary is rough, but thought it'd be good to get lots of public input before we clean it up.

After a while, we'll do a second version that will be cleaner. But first just document comments here so others can see and comment if needed.
gone

Post by gone »

I believe "Overspray" should actually be "overglaze" Just ask Lani!
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Els VandenEnde wrote:I believe "Overspray" should actually be "overglaze" Just ask Lani!
Yeah, we'll definitely have to make that change! Maybe we should also put overspray in the dictionary and just link to the thread.
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Good job, Lauri! This is something we've needed for a long time!

Geri
Lauri Levanto

Thanks for comments

Post by Lauri Levanto »

But we need MORE.

I'll pick them here and insert the necessary changes.

It was really a fun job - even in a foreign language :-)
I learned a lot.

-lauri
lauren

Post by lauren »

thanks for the effort, it'll definitely come in handy for many many people
Last edited by lauren on Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charlie

Post by charlie »

alumina: can it really be used for blasting?

annealing range: stree should be stress

s/jevelry/jewelry/

crystal: add hyperlink to lead glass

devit: chrystals should be crystals

dvell: should be dwell

flashing color: should be flashed glass

flux: couls should be could

grog: hyperlink chamotte

handrolled: vawy should be wavy

the second sentence of your definition of heat is incorrect, or at least very incomplete.

lost vax should be lost wax, unless you're talking about old dec computers.

definition of pattern bar is incomplete. it's not just rods or stringers. you can make them out of frit, wide pieces of sheet glass, and lots of other shapes of glass.

raku clay: bisquit should be bisque

rod: could be any size. i've seen 10" rods. it isn't even a shape, i've seen oval and square rods.

shard: doesn't have to be thin glass. shards of a car window, for instance, is pretty thick.

silicosis: maks should be mask

slip: clay GOO? how about liquified clay?

tempered: indutrially should be industrially

Translucent: translucent glass doesn't have to have a surface pattern.

Vitrigraph: should be vitreograph i think

wbs: should be a hyperlink to wet belt sander

good work bringing all these into one place.
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Brad Walker wrote:Thanks to Lauri Levanto, we have a preliminary draft of an online dictionary of kiln-forming terms. Please check it out and let us know what you think.

Corrections on BOLD

Bentonite can b used as suspension agent

Calcium Carbonate Ca CO3 whiting

Calcium Oxide Ca O Lime

plaster of paris Ca O4 . 1/2 H2 O

O is oxigen

Cerium Cerium oxide used for fine polishing. note if U can feel scratch with ur nail use pumace first, clean up then use cerium, keep wheel damp with cloth

Colloidal When a material is mixed with a liquid in so small particles that these do not settle to the bottom. Some colored glasses are made with colloidal metals that interfere with the light producing color. Two liquids can form a colloin COLLOID like in mayonnaise

Compatibility test To test compatibility pieces of different glass are full fused on a base glass. The tet TEST piece may show fractures - not compatible - or stress when viewed with a polariscope

Devitrification

Devit Result of devitrification. When glass is made the chrystalline ingredients are vitrified,melted to a liquid form. Devit is reverse of this process when chrystals form on OR WITHIN glass. Devit can be prevented or reduced by using oversprays.

Devit is glass molecules arranged in ordely fashion micro cristaline or larger cristals or both

In our normal glass the molecules R arranged in a random manner ( with some glasses this is not true )

Anti devit stuff works by making the glass 2 liquid so the cristals cant grow, also it will tend 2 disolve any neucleation points, so again it cant grow

Devit will only grow within a certain viscosity range, to stiff or 2 liquid n it cant grow

It also needs something 2 grow from like dirt or a scratch ( neucleation point )

It is this reason that devit usually only grows at an interface

Anty devit applied 2 light devit will mask it as it will B shiny n there may B a little disolving going on depending on temps

Devit usually incompatable but is OK up to a crertain size ( varies from glass 2 glass

Evenity EVENIVITY A WG term that refers to the uniformity of temperature in the kiln.

Flux use of can B used 2 stick glass together n assist in melting at a lower temp

Used 2 lower melt temp of colourants body stains on glaze

Body Stain

On Glaze

Glass enamel

Frit 1. Glass that has been crushed to small grains.
2. Ceramics: a composite powder used in glazing. Some toxic or otherwise difficult ingredients are enetered into the glaze mix as frit.

Frit is also a term used where a mixture of materials is heated whereby all the gassing n reactions r finished

This is then quenched n ground

Body stains, enamels, on glaze R made this way, it is usual 2 fire these much lower when manufactured

The advantage is that no or little gassing / reactions happen buring use

These can then B further softened with flux

Lapwheel UK - flat bed grinder

Opal Glass that is opaque or milky. See transparent and translucent can have cryistals with in it so can change on reheat ( devit troughout )

Peeking Visually monitoring the process in the kiln, with out opening the door so kiln not cool

Rigidizer Used to harden or rigidize forms made of soft ceramic fiber material colloidal alumina or colloidal silica SiO2

Neucleation point Something that devit grows from this can B dirt , scratch, or something cristaline see also devit

Striking A glass that is made like this can discolour on refiring

Bullseye uses this term to describe class that obteins the final color only after a second firing ,
rodney

definition

Post by rodney »

the dictionary is great,,,wonderful idea,,,there is nothing under letter Y,,,here is suggestion

yee ha..... the tern used when at last the problem is solved, quickly followed by "its about time" or "now what"
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Aussie Roll-Up Developed by Australians Schott Chaseling /and Kirstie Rea.

A combination of kiln working and hot glass where glass is first made in the kiln then picked up / rolled up, then worked using hot glass techniques

Roll-Up See Aussie Roll-Up

Brian
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

I know everybody else thinks it's a crazy idea but I'll try anyway.

If you put the dictionary on Wiki software everybody could edit it directly. It is up to the community to police the posts.

wiki.org/wiki.cgi?WhatIsWiki

Look at the wikipedia for an example of wiki on a large scale.

wikipedia.org

ch
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

charlie holden wrote:If you put the dictionary on Wiki software everybody could edit it directly. It is up to the community to police the posts.
Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but the thought of over a hundred people editing the same document is enough to make me shudder. Have you participated in this wiki thing before?
Lani McGregor

Post by Lani McGregor »

I think this is a fantastic opportunity for a lot of much-needed discussion/debate on terminology.

Thanks, Lauri!

PS. Charlie, it's "vitrigraph". I can be inflexible on this point, since I coined the term and wrote the first print material detailing the process (Bullseye's TechNotes #2, Copyright 1995)

I specifically chose the "i" so as not to confuse it with..

Vitrograph or vitreography, which is printing with glass plates, see Littleton among others.

On this note, I think it would be helpful along with the definitions to provide some historical attribution as to where processes etc. developed (not to overlook the Egyptians et al as innovators of combing. And Aussies for the roll-up etc.)... OK, this one's got me energized!
Ed Burck

Post by Ed Burck »

Brad Walker wrote:
charlie holden wrote:If you put the dictionary on Wiki software everybody could edit it directly. It is up to the community to police the posts.
Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but the thought of over a hundred people editing the same document is enough to make me shudder. Have you participated in this wiki thing before?
In a Wiki, when a user clicks on the "Edit" link on a page the page is locked so no one else can edit it. Of course you have to think about someone 'leaving' the edit page (say, exiting their browser) without releasing the lock (or leaving the page in edit mode and walking away). In that case you'd have to wait for the lock time period to expire. I believe the default is one hour and I don't know if you can change it. Seems like you'd also want to limit editing to registered board users. We use Twiki (http://www.twiki.org) on our project - it's a fairly mature Wiki implementation.

Ed
------------------------------------
Gratitude.Respect.Responsibility.
Lauri Levanto

To Lani

Post by Lauri Levanto »

Great you joined in.

1. I have discussed with Brad that it is possible to link further into archives. F.ex:
Powder wafer - (definition) Read further (link to Bob leatherbarrow*s posting.

This will take time to find out proper postings.

2. As I have a limited access to original sources
. living in countruside, Finland - I'll not
infringe copyrights. The reader has better to directly consultate
Charles Bray: Dictionary of glass.

-lauri
Lauri Levanto

Wikipedia

Post by Lauri Levanto »

I know the wikipedia, though I have no hands on experience on it. It was in my mind to put the dictionary in it.

As Brad mentioned, 100 persons editing the draft
may cause more confusion. maybe when we have something
stabilized...

The greatest worry is forth and back editing. We have already arguments about the term frit.

One more point is language. Now I have used three languages; English, UK English and Brianese which
may be unitelligle to people putside WG boad.
Including Aussie, Pidgin English etc may run to a chaos.

As there already exists the Bray: Dictionary of glaa
my purpose was to help with the colloqial forms of WG board.

-lauri
-lauri