Kiln Size VS Convenience & Efficiency

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

draco_myst

Kiln Size VS Convenience & Efficiency

Post by draco_myst »

I'm looking to buy my first (and for now ONLY) kiln, and I have narrowed it down to two. The Skutt GM1414 (Oval) for it's size to cost advantage, or the GM22CS (Clamshell) for it's elgant design, and convenient access. (and higher efficiency?) Not having the practical experience of the majority of the readers in this forum, I was hoping to get some advise. My intended projects include small (8") and large (20") bowls, wall lighting fixtures, glass panels for kitchen cabinet doors, and in the future, possibly panels for entry doors, windows, and bathroom sinks. I like the look of combed glass, and I figure that the clamshell would make combing MUCH easier. I also figure that the clamshell would make setting up complicated designs for blanks a lot easier as well. Of course, the offset is that the CS costs so much more for less space in the kiln. I've heard a lot of people say the same thing about kilns that they say about houses . . . buy the largest one that you can afford, you'll always end up needing more space than you think you need. If I had an open ended budget, I'd get a large CS like a Genesis TP4830-12. But alas . . . I can't start out on such a grand scale. Am I missing anything? Any words of wisdom? Thanks!
Rich

Vernon, CT
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Here is something that you wrote yesterday....."I'm just getting started with warm glass (I'm taking the kiln fired glass class at Snow Farm in MA this May)".

why not take your first class, find out what you like or don't like then. You might find out that you like this type of kiln over another, or that controller, or this type of work or that type which might lead you top a different type of kiln all together?

I don't think that anyone here has a problem helping you with any problem that you have.. but why limit yourself to a specific kiln until you take your class and do the basics and see what you want to do then. If you really want to buy the kiln now I will do some research on these kilns and help you any way I can.

Good luck.... and BTW.. there is no repellant for the glassbug that bit you. You are caught like the rest of us....
Stuart
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Rich,

A point to consider is whether you want to do predomantly individual/one-of-a-kind "gallery" pieces , or production work. If it is the former then go for a kiln about the size of the larger pieces you are planning. If you are planning production work then you will want the size needed to make the number of pieces you need to maintain production.

Cheers,

Bob
Al Bray

Post by Al Bray »

I'm in agreement with other comments here. You have to fit the kiln to the purpose you intend it for. The more difficult part is that those purposes tend to change after you get into fusing.

A year ago I bought the GM 1414 for it's size and some of the stuff I say myself wanting to do. And advice given to me was get a the largest kiln you can afford because you will eventually want something bigger. I also bought it because I happen to like the feature set of Glass Master controller that came with it.

However I now find myself wanting to experiment a lot more with smaller items and do things like raking and the size and depth of the kiln just dosen't make it very efficient for trying to explore more of the artistic side of the art form.

Because of it's large size and kiln brick construction, the heat up/cool down cycles are rather long and it seems like such a waste of electricity if when I want to do smaller projects, play with new techniques or even just compatibility testing.

I also now find myself wanting a kiln that has easier access to the kiln shelf/floor so that setting up difficult designs doesn't mean spending hours bent over into a 13 inch deep kiln.

So I am looking at now purchasing a second smaller kiln that has the clamshell design. Paragon released the Pearl 18 back in January, however the model currently shipping comes with three key controller that doesn't have the ability to add time add/or temp to a currently running segement that I think are necessary when doing experimental stuff. However at the end of the month, I have been told that the are going to release a version of this kiln that has the full 12 key controller and the price point seems to be in the range I am looking for.

Big kilns are great for big stuff or firing multiple items at the same time. But they also have drawbacks when you want to work small and fast.

Best of luck...either way it's an agonizing decision that most people doing fusing go through because the money you throw at the kiln is money you don't have to buy the glass to put in it.

However...this art form is very addictive and which ever decision you make your sure to enjoy yourself just the same.
draco_myst

Post by draco_myst »

Al, Bob, Stuart,

Thanks for all the input. Although I won't be taking the class until May, I have been doing some intense "self educating" for the last few weeks (mostly here at warmglass.com), and I'm currently waiting for "Contemporary Warm Glass" to arrive from Bullseyeconnectionl. My thought was to obtain a kiln, and work through some of the basics before going to the class. I'm hoping to move beyond the basics (definitions and theory), and get as deep into technique, and firing schedules as I can during the class. I have a lot of prep work to do (like getting our home's 100 amp service upgraded to 200 amps) before I even get then kiln.

I am definitely leaning toward the more artistic "one-of-a-kind" type of work, but this could also mean making a unique set of glass panels for an entire kitchen set of doors for a client. I don't really intend to "mass produce" any particular style or piece, so to be honest I'm really leaning toward getting the CS kiln for that reason. I'm just frugal by nature, and spending more for less (firing space) can be a little difficult to come to terms with I guess. I've been telling myself that I can always buy a larger kiln later if the volume of work, and size of the pieces demands it.

I definitely caught the "glass bug", but it's more than that really. I've been wanting to escape from the corporate world for a long time, and this is the first chance to make that happen. My primary craft has always been woodworking. I think the marriage of the two will be ideal.
Rich

Vernon, CT
travisraybold

Post by travisraybold »

ive had the 1414 for just over 48 hours now, finally got the 220v line rigged up and ran the element seating firiing last night. so i haven't played with it yet.

i was leaning towards something taller to give me more 3d space to play with, but the first commission i have i want to do as a set of 30" wide tiles (30 ft^2 total), so i went for the 1414. it is a beast, but i'd rather have a beast and not be limited. :) i live in portland, so i was pretty well set on a skutt kiln, heard good things, and having in town support from the manufacturer is very reassuring.

if i could put a collar on it to have some more height when needed, it would be perfect. but for now ill work with shorter stuff and get a taller kiln someday in the future.

best of luck!

--travis
charlie

Post by charlie »

this kiln has the bottom not attached to the sides? just gets some 3" firebricks and make a collar on the bottom under the sides.

of course, there may not be enough power to heat it up hot enough for your process, but that's a different problem.
travisraybold

Post by travisraybold »

if that works, then it will be perfect ;) i wont even need much heat for the tall stuff, at least not what im thinking of now.

ill check that out after i get the first big comission done. thanks for the tip,

--travis