crisp edge on jewelry

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

kbarbour

crisp edge on jewelry

Post by kbarbour »

I have been trying to get a specific look to my dichroic jewelry. I really love the pieces that have very straight crisp lines along the sides and look as if they were cut with a saw (which they probably were-but I don't have one :D ). Can you obtain this look by grinding after the first fire and than doing a second fire. If so, on the second fire, how high do you go to just get that glossy defined look without changing the shape?

Karon
Mimi Rivera Vellek

Post by Mimi Rivera Vellek »

Yes, you can get that look with a grinder, but it really works better with a disc grinder or saw. Take it up to fire polishing temperature in your kiln -- somewhere around 1360. Make note for future reference of when the edges start getting shiny, then bring the temp down quickly and anneal. Good luck!

Mimi
kbarbour

Post by kbarbour »

Thanks Mimi!

Karon
artisand

Post by artisand »

Karon,

You can also get that look by working with a large bar and then cutting it into pieces. I don't have a saw either. Just use my glass cutter, and that's on pieces with a bottom, thick layer of dichro, then a clear top. I find it fun to work with the larger pieces.

Sharon
kbarbour

Post by kbarbour »

Hi Sharon, you don't have problems cutting through the glass when it's that thick? Wow I have to try that. Thanks!

Karon