Unglueing

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

TrishV

Unglueing

Post by TrishV »

Sorry if this is a double post.

Does anyone know how to unglue UV glue? I did it before by heating in the kiln, but forgot what temperature.

Thanks,
TrishV
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

Actually, sometimes water will break down the glue. Try soaking the piece in as warm water as you think it can stand and keep it up until the glue releases. Use a razor blade to start the separation. Hope that helped. - Barbara
Barbara J Cashman
http://www.glastile.com
Glass Tile Manufacturer
TrishV

Post by TrishV »

Thanks Barbara, I tried that. I must not have had the water hot enough. I didn't want to crack the bowl the globs are attached to.

TrishV
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

I work with UV glues all the time. They are not guaranteed to stay stable in a wet environment, and I have had them separate under wet conditions. This led me to my response. - Barbara
Barbara J Cashman
http://www.glastile.com
Glass Tile Manufacturer
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

I've found denatured alcohol to work well. Sometimes a soak gives a better result.
TrishV

Post by TrishV »

Thanks for the input. I'll try the alcohol. What temp do you think it would take to break the glue down in the kiln? I tried 350 F for 4 min. Now after trying to soak it in hot water, I wonder if I made it stronger. I put it in the dishwasher with the heated water option on ... still stuck. I guess I can really do a good job of glueing. My customer should be encouraged at the quality and durability. Too bad it's crooked!!!!
TrishV
TrishV

Post by TrishV »

Here's an update....650F for 4 min did the trick.
TrishV