Tips on cutting opal circles

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Carla Fox

Tips on cutting opal circles

Post by Carla Fox »

We (a royal we, the partner actually) are wizards at cutting round circles for plates. But we (meaning me) had a grand idea to work with opalescent BE to make some full size opal'nt plates.

My master cutter scored his circle and then turned it over (as he does with clears) to put pressure to run the cut. (He does this on a firm rug on plywood.) He saw, as you see, his problem. He couldn't see the score to put the pressure to get it running.

So. Any tips on how to cut large (8"-11") opalescent circles?

Thanks.

Carla
travisraybold

Post by travisraybold »

i just put my thumb and forefinger together, then slide them on either side of the glass til i feel the score with my forefinger, hold my thumb still while i rest the glass on the pad, and then start the pressure. after it's started, i can normally just follow it along around.

--travis
Brock

Post by Brock »

Start with a square about 1" larger than the desired circle.

Score the circle.

Trim the roughly triangular corner pieces off, staying 1/2" outside the circle score.

Gently, using grozing pliers, run the circle, face up.

Break off the border by using a few cuts from the run circle to the edges.

Admire your proficiency.

Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

A while ago I had to cut some deep inside curves in full sheets of Wissmach dense opal and doing it in multiple scores was not an option. I made a template for the shape, traced it in marker on the smooth side, flipped the sheet, traced it again, flipped the sheet scored it, flipped the last time and used the ball end of the cutter to follow the marker line. Worked beautifully. I do the same thing for big circles, though for the size you are doing I use Brock's circular reasoning.