It's raining pins

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Valerie

It's raining pins

Post by Valerie »

I have a Fusion 10 and all my pins are falling out.
My conclusion is all my elements will too :idea:
I have e-mailed Paragon twice with obviously no response.
I have just pushed them back in when I see one, but now they
are falling out with every firing of my kiln. what could/should
I be doing? TIA
Terry Ow-Wing

Post by Terry Ow-Wing »

when you put them back - try not to use the same holes. Also put them at an angle which leaves the curved part of the "u" laying at an angle resting against the groove edge. Hard to explain... :?
Also be sure all your power is off - unplug!! so that you don't get shocked touching the elements!

-terry o.
Last edited by Terry Ow-Wing on Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Terry Ow-Wing Designs
Kilnformed and Lampworked Glass Art
http://GlassArt.weebly.com
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Very important.... when you push the pins in do not wiggle, that will make the holes larger. Just push straight in. Also, if you get a change... purchase new pins (or as Paragon calls them staples). The new staples are not softened by repeated firings and will go in easier and straighter and hence stay in better. If you can't find then you can contact me and I can get you a package of them.

Paragon is not real good at returning E-mails. I order them on a regular basis and tell them that I get no response from e-mails and I am tole that they read them every day... well they may read them every day but not respond to them.

good luck.

stuart
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman
Steve Immerman

Post by Steve Immerman »

I spoke to John Hohenshelt at Paragon about this when I was at BECon, and he advised me to apply a high temp adhesive (I think it's called Pyrolite) to the pins when I pushed them back in place.

It helps to some degree with this problem. Paragon does sell this glue.

Steve
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Thank You for the quick responses
I opened my kiln this morning after firing
2 bottles to another pin shower :(
I will contact Paragon about the glue and the pins
Do you think they will answer that e-mail?
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Steve,
You are right. It is called Pyrolite and it costs $26 a tube from them. I asked the size and they said it was about the size of a tube of silicone.
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman
judith

Post by judith »

Valerie,
We use Paragon kilns (over 20 of them!) at Vitrum Studio and have always found Paragon to be extremely responsive to customer needs. Just call them on the 800-876-4328 number and ask for Customer Service. Don't expect an immediate answer from emails - they're not set up for that, as you've now experienced - but you'll get excellent service by telephoning them.

After 3 years of daily usage in our classes and workshops, our Paragon GL64 began to drop a few staples. We bought and used the high temperature caulk with excellent results. We pulled out the origninal staples (with the electricity OFF, of course) put a dab of the caulk in place and inserted NEW staples a bit to the side of where the original ones were inserted. The new staples are extremely secure and have not loosened at all.

I hope this helps,

judith
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

I had an older top fire kiln start dropping pins all over my work (not a Paragon). Drove me crazy for quite a while. Put them back, a while later they would drop again. I didn't know about the glue, but eventually I took the lid off, put it on the table and pulled out all the pins. I reinserted them in new positions with kiln repair cement (trying not to get any cement on the elements themselves).

I think the glue is probably a better idea, cause if I crash the kiln at all, the elements make a distinctly creaking sound (I'm sure from the cement), but it works, the elements haven't fried, and it has lasted quite a long time. One pin is now working loose after about six months. Probably the one that I couldn't get out!
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Stuart is sending me the glue & staples :D
my kiln is on it's own box and is always shut
off when not in use...so I won't give myself a zap
got knocked halfway across the bakery turning on a
bread slicer using 440 :shock: several years ago
I am very cautious around the stuff ..very unforgiving
Thank You Stuart!!!!!!!!
charlie

Post by charlie »

if you bend them slightly before reinsertion, they'll act like springs and grip the sides of the hole just a bit.