New Evenheat GTS2541 Warping Lid

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Monty

New Evenheat GTS2541 Warping Lid

Post by Monty »

Hi everyone,
Please see the email below that I have just sent to EvenHeat Kilns. I just thought I'd pop it here to see if anyone else hase had this problem.

"Hi there,
I have just bought a new GTS2541 and so far things are not going very well at all. I have pre-fired twice (as per the instructions) and the lid bows upwards around the edges and really badly at the :( sides as it's heating (approx 1/2" gap). The kiln can't get over 700 degrees celcius as there is just too much heat escaping. I've tried loosening and tensioning the band around the top of the lid (as per the instructions) but nothings seems to be helping.

Can you please advise what is happening here and what I should do?
cheers
Monty"
Marty

Post by Marty »

braided refractory gasket around the lip.

I tried to get Evenheat to fix this, even told them how, but did they listen?
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Not even from Famous Marty?
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman
Cher

Post by Cher »

Marty wrote:braided refractory gasket around the lip.

I tried to get Evenheat to fix this, even told them how, but did they listen?
So Marty, tell US how to fix it, WE'LL listen!!!! Mine did it too. Thanks!
>^..^<
gone

Post by gone »

I think they all probably do. Mine isn't quite as bad at 1/4 inch. Does anyone else notice more devit when using this kiln?
Marty

Post by Marty »

Instead of laying it up flat, Evenheat could build the lid on a slightly curved steel plate so that it bowed in the center at room temp and was completely flat at fuse temps. Sort of like flat bed trailers that are pre-stressed- they arch up when unloaded.

I offered EH the worldwide rights (in perpetuity!) to this cheatin' technology(TM) for FREE if they'd build me a new lid. They were polite enough- probably thought I was bonkers- but turned me down.

Els- I haven't noticed more or less devit. I think devit is a byproduct of karma.
Karen Laing

Post by Karen Laing »

I finally got my kiln set up and programmed and yes the same thing. The gap is about 1/2 on one side. When it is cold everything is level. I don't have any problems with it not getting up to temperature, and I tested it doesn't have any cold spots. It is annoying to think this is something that the company could have resolved. I also think having Evenheat there would be a good thing.

I love not having to worry about the kiln and not having to carry around my timer. We put it in the garage since the studio is full and I have had the benefit of opening the garage door until the venting goes in.
Karen Laing aka arcticlass
Mark Hughes

Post by Mark Hughes »

This sounds like a good reason to suggest that people don't buy evenheat kilns! :idea:
Mark Hughes
travisraybold

Post by travisraybold »

perhaps the extra gap is the cause for their name... they are so good they "even heat" your studio while you are firing ;)
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Hate to sound like goodie 2 shoes but my coffin Evenheart has a level lid at this point. Watch next firing it won't be. My problem was with the shelves. No matter what I tried I got bubbles between the shelf and glass with kilnwash. I solve that by using 110-J paper. Have to say if mine warps I might be tempted to take it up to the factory and stay there until they give me a new lid. I have major lid issues with my Skutt, after Skutt saw I wasn't going to let this issue die I got a new lid. BTW I was to far away to plant myself in their lobby.
Nanc
gone

Post by gone »

Mark Hughes wrote:This sounds like a good reason to suggest that people don't buy evenheat kilns! :idea:
I wouldn't make a blanket statement like that. This is a certain model we're talking about. I also have an 18" Evenheat which is an awesome little kiln. No problems whatsoever.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Els VandenEnde wrote:
Mark Hughes wrote:This sounds like a good reason to suggest that people don't buy evenheat kilns! :idea:
I wouldn't make a blanket statement like that. This is a certain model we're talking about. I also have an 18" Evenheat which is an awesome little kiln. No problems whatsoever.
Ditto! I think these questions should be directed to the manufacturers. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Tyler Frisby

Post by Tyler Frisby »

I second that one brock, You gave them the big bucks for it ! Now go get them :) hehe
Carla Fox

Post by Carla Fox »

We too, have this big evenheat coffin kiln. I too, noticed that once it heats the lid does not sit down fully. I too, worried about this.

But I went ahead and ran it. It works, does the job....holds heat well. In fact I think it takes forever to cool off. So maybe this lid deal is within the parameters of what evenheat thinks is okay for a kiln. Maybe it's even part of the kiln? Who knows. Mine works, fine.

Carla
Brock

Post by Brock »

Tyler Frisby wrote:I second that one brock, You gave them the big bucks for it ! Now go get them :) hehe
I don't have an Evenheat if that's what you meant. I was suggesting that we don't try these companies in public quite so much. I have found them to be responsive to input, but they have to receive the input. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

I agree Brock. I have the same kiln in question. I have had problems with it in the past, including re-building it before it was a year old and Evenheat sent me new bricks and gave me some tech support over the phone. My suggestion would be to call them, they are the ones who designed and built it.

BTW, I have a Jen-Ken in the same shape and both lids warp when firing. But, they both do what I need them to do time after time.

Amy
Carol Craiglow

Post by Carol Craiglow »

Right after I bought my Evenheat 2541 a few years ago, I was talking to their techy guy MIke on an unrelated issue. I mentioned that I'd just fired it for the first time.

He asked, "Did you see the wings?" I immediately knew what he was talking about, cus I had observed the two ends of the oval kiln lid had raised a little bit at top temp. He said, yeah they all do that and he said they thought maybe it helped with the even heating. I'm not here to debate that statement, but just to say that it's a normal part of the kiln which has been a very good kiln for me. Knock wood!

And it doesn't affect reaching temperature for me.
Bob L Workshop - Take Two
June 10-11-12
Santa Fe NM
http://www.warmglass.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10420
elin

Post by elin »

braided refractory gasket around the lip.
Try the gasket. You can also use strips of 1" fiber blanket 2-3" wide as a gasket. It's soft, so it has some give, and will make up for the gap.

-elin
Monty

Wow! What a response

Post by Monty »

Wow...cats out of the bag now it seems :D

I've had a response from Tammy at Evenheat and they told me it was normal. I even took pictures at various stages of the firing and sent them in. The condition was not as bad after the third pre-fire and gets to the desired temps within correct time frames.

I let them know that I was a newby and had no idea of what was happening. I thought I'd bought a lemon. Considering I had it specially imported all the way to NZ I was more that a little worried. I even tried to weight the lid down to prevent it from happening, only to be told this could damage the lid. I now only hope I haven't made an expensive mistake...only time will tell.

Anyway I suggested to them Marty's idea that they manufacture the lid to compensate or at the very least to have a note in the "Pre fire instructions" indicating that this is a normal occurrence.

I've since ordered some fibre braided rope to use as a gasket. The only reason being that electricity is relatively expensive where I am and I need the kiln to be as efficient as possible with its electricity consumption.

Thanks for the feedback. If anyone from Evenheat pops along to the "Warmglass Weekend" and you remember this post it would be great to prompt them again about my little dilema. Then maybe the next newby that buys one won't sweat it out for a weekend while waiting for a response.
Cheers
Monty
Mark Hughes

Post by Mark Hughes »

So Tammy at evenheat says this is normal. What does she say is wrong with all the other kilns whose lids don't warp, don't leak heat, and fire evenly? :lol: [/u]
Mark Hughes