sandblasting

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

slats

sandblasting

Post by slats »

Want to sandblast and need advice. I bought the cabinet from HF...comes with the siphon gun.....Is this system okay for satin finishes and also some deeper more detailed work (dont want to outgrow this quickly and make the same mistake I made with other tools I purchased)....What is better......pressure pot? or siphon gun? Need all professional suggestions asap..........thanks
Nickie Jordan

Post by Nickie Jordan »

I've got 2 cabinets with a siphon gun and one pressure pot.
The siphon works a bit slower, but I find I have a little more control with the lighter gun.
I only use the pressure pot in my sandblasting room on really large pieces. The hose and nozzel on it are large and can get heavy after long usage.
It may be that I'm just used to my equipment, but I get all the effect and pressure I need with the siphon.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

The main difference will be the amount of air you need to produce to run the siphon blaster... IOW the siphon blaster can be an air hog. So, use the smallest diameter nozzle you can get for your siphon blaster and you'll be able to etch and do limited carving. The upgrade path is to buy a pressure pot, and run the hose into your cabinet leaving the siphon blaster equipment unused.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
dee

Post by dee »

Tony Smith wrote:The main difference will be the amount of air you need to produce to run the siphon blaster... IOW the siphon blaster can be an air hog. So, use the smallest diameter nozzle you can get for your siphon blaster and you'll be able to etch and do limited carving. The upgrade path is to buy a pressure pot, and run the hose into your cabinet leaving the siphon blaster equipment unused.

Tony
tony - you have instructions about doing this on your site correct? i'm thinking about converting my sandblaster from siphon to pressure pot and will need help with the mechanical aspect of this ;P i am not mechanically inclined ;P also, are you available for phone support? ;)
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

dee wrote: tony - you have instructions about doing this on your site correct? i'm thinking about converting my sandblaster from siphon to pressure pot and will need help with the mechanical aspect of this ;P i am not mechanically inclined ;P also, are you available for phone support? ;)
D
The information for setting up the pressure pot is on my website under Sandblasting Information. Whenever you're ready, drop me an email or give a call.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun