kiln wash question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

CMWarren

kiln wash question

Post by CMWarren »

I have been useing shelf paper for my little table top kiln as i did not want to use it on the kiln and have to re wash it every few firings. I tried to fired some pendant and the sheilf paper turned black on me, so I was trying to figure out if i had misplaced the paper and got it mixed up with reguler paper. but it did a number on my kilnwash.

I sanded the kiln sheilf untill i got the greyish haze away and to where it was when i got it *its fairly small, about 7 by 7* and I am trying to reapply but it seems to devlop cracks when it drys, and thats my questions, if I might need to add water to my kiln wash, or if I need to let it settle out agian. I am almost out of mine, which I do not care for anyways, but curious if I am doing something wrong.
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

The fiber paper turns black around 500° to 900°. The the binders are birnt out and everything is back to being white... if it cracks when it dries you are putting it on too thick. Put think coats on and let it dry between coats.. A lot of kiln wash is 5 parts water to 1 part wash.
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman
CMWarren

Post by CMWarren »

so the paper was fine. I never looked into the kiln till around 1100 so thats probably why.

I will scrap off and try agian with the kiln wash, but im going to try to do it a litter thinner of a consitancy. if it dosent work for me, oh well, I wanted to get a diffrent one eventurally. One that has a dye in it when wet.

Well you learn something. I was panicing that I put the wrong paper in and when the glass reached its fusing state, it would fuse to what looked like burnt paper.