Glue fiber paper

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

vblue

Glue fiber paper

Post by vblue »

I want to slump a business card holder. Can I cut 1/4" fiber paper (rigid stuff) into 3 pieces to make a mold and glue the sides onto the top part? If so which glue would you recommend I use?
I know that I could use mold mix to make a mold but thought the fiber paper might be less time consuming.

Thank you,
Vernelle
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

You can mix rigidizer with the fiber paper and mold it to the shape that you want it and then let it dry.
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman
vblue

Post by vblue »

I realized after posting the question that the glue would probably burn off.

I don't have any rigidizer......may have to buy some.

Could I use wire to hold the piece together? Same principal as using nails to hold boards together?

Thanks
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

I am going to guess that you haven't used fiber paper yet. If you don't rigidize it, it will fall apart. My guess is that even around a wire base, you are going to egt some slumping through the wires. But try it, you could get something very interesting happening!

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Lynn g

Post by Lynn g »

Vernelle, try fiber board (like Kaiser Lee board) covered with Thinfire. Set a 1" x 4" x 4" piece on edge, cover it with Thinfire and slump over that (the Thinfire makes it easier to remove the card holder in case it bends down too tightly again the mold.
Lynn g
"Patriotism is not enough, I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone." - Dame Edith Cavell
Carol B

Post by Carol B »

Lynn g wrote:Vernelle, try fiber board (like Kaiser Lee board) covered with Thinfire. Set a 1" x 4" x 4" piece on edge, cover it with Thinfire and slump over that (the Thinfire makes it easier to remove the card holder in case it bends down too tightly again the mold.
Lynn - Good advise. I used fiber board as well. The fiber board was 1/2 inch thick and I set 2 pieces side by side. I wraped them with Thin Fire and secured with a common sewing pin. It was a bit tipsy in the kiln so I set a couple of small kiln shelves on each side of the fiber board to secure it. It worked like a champ.

Have fun Vernelle.
Carol B
jolly

Post by jolly »

For simple forms, I keep some sheets of stainless steel (22 ga. or so). It cuts with tin snipes, bends easily and lasts a long time. -Jolly
There is more to life than increasing its speed.-Mahatma Gandhi
jolly

Post by jolly »

For simple forms, I keep some sheets of stainless steel (22 ga. or so). It cuts with tin snipes, bends easily and lasts a long time. -Jolly
Suzan

Post by Suzan »

jolly wrote:For simple forms, I keep some sheets of stainless steel (22 ga. or so). It cuts with tin snipes, bends easily and lasts a long time. -Jolly
Where can you buy stainless steel sheets? I've tried the local hardware stores & Home Depot but they don't carry it.

Cheers,
Suzan
gthomson

Post by gthomson »

Suzan wrote:
Where can you buy stainless steel sheets? I've tried the local hardware stores & Home Depot but they don't carry it.

Cheers,
Suzan
Metal Supermarket may be able to help you out. They've offered to supply small amounts of SS sheet for me. No idea of price, though.

Cheers,

Glenn
elizglass

Post by elizglass »

Hi vblue,
just thought I'd add my 2 cents: a few years ago I made a bunch of business card holders for a charity show- I just used 1/16th " fiber over kiln stilts on their sides (or use firebrick- very easy to cut to thichickness you want) just cut out squares larger than glass blank- the weight of the glass folds it down during firing.
just make sure your glass is placed evenly and voila very quick and easy.
Liz
jolly

Post by jolly »

I buy SS and copper foil from Alaskan Copper and Brass in Seattle. When I am in the area, I just grab some of their SS cutoffs. I'm sure I could get it from one of the welders at the Boat yard, too. -Jolly