90 COE & System 96 ??

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kim Reed

90 COE & System 96 ??

Post by Kim Reed »

Sorry for the question, but I am very new to fusing and am trying to figure it out. So, what will happen if you mix COE 90 and 96 glass together? Someone told me that it would explode and ruin your kiln. Is this true? Any info appreciated. TIA
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

COE stands for coefficient of expansion. 90 and 96 mean that those two types of glass expand and contract at different rates. Therefore if you mix the two when they are cooling they will contract differently and break apart. It may not "explode" or hurt your kiln but you cannot make something that will stay in one piece from two different COE glasses.
Amy
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Explode is a term we like to use.. but crack is probally a better term.. and I doubt it will hurt the kiln unless the kiln has feelings and it will get upset that it produces cracked unusable pieces.

Look in the tutorial for a topic on compatable glass and or COE.
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

What everyone before me has said. Now do yourself a big big favor and buy Brad's book Contempory Warm Glass. It is offered on this site and at some of the sponsors of the list. It is the best beginners book I have read. Still teething on warm glass I have read several and Brad's book is the best first book. I keep it about 4 steps from my kiln and work area at all times. There are other books that you should read after this one but they aren't as easy to understand until you have fused a little while. Nanc
Tim Swann

Post by Tim Swann »

Mostly it just causes bad things to your piece.

Tim
AVLucky

Post by AVLucky »