Fusing Botltles Together

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Tyler Frisby

Fusing Botltles Together

Post by Tyler Frisby »

has anyone had any problems with fusing bottles together then Slumping them into a kool form ? Any certain bottles brands to avoid ?

I was thinking of putting a hole bunch of (Rolling Rock) bottles together and slumping them in a wavey mold (bulls eyes)

Any suggeestions or comments on this before I might waste my time ?

Thanks Tyler
elizglass

Post by elizglass »

Hey Tyler,
Only thing is Rolling Rock bottles have paint on them- might be nasty or even toxic fumes- I'd use paintless bottles. I've done fun stuff w/ Balvenie scotch bottles- nice shapes!
Go for it- worst case scenario they break. :lol:
Liz
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Fusing bottles from the same brand might work, but my guess is different brands won't survive the fuse. Compatibility will be a problem.

I wouldn't try to sell anything I fused like this. You just don't know what's going to happen. Fun to play with but that's about it in my view.
Tyler Frisby

Post by Tyler Frisby »

Thanks everyone,

I'll give it a try soon, I'll be sure post'em after !

:) Tyler
Tyler Frisby

Post by Tyler Frisby »

I put them an inch apart and they didnt fuse togther I guess I'll try touching them cold on the shelf
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Tyler,

You can definitely fire together Skyy Blue malt liquor bottles. They are all made by the same manufacturer -- same coe.

As for Rolling Rock -- no problem melting them but I've never put them together.

As for beer bottles, look around the rim on the bottom. There is a code which tells who made the bottle. Try to keep "codes" with "codes." I learned this the hard way with Heineken. Heineken has about five different manufacturers. Keep likes with likes.

Judy
Tyler Frisby

Post by Tyler Frisby »

thats great info thanks !