Euclid kiln operation feedback pros and cons

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Val Eibner

Euclid kiln operation feedback pros and cons

Post by Val Eibner »

Looking at buying a glass kiln within the next month. Studio in BC, Canada and have been looking into the Jen Ken and Skutt kilns, but now have found out about the Euclid kiln existence, but know little about them. Looked into the archives and there is little there to inform me. Anyone have some good knowledge about them. Thanks in advance, Val :D
Val
eibnerstudio
BC,Canada
Brock

Post by Brock »

I've never used one Val, but I've dealt with the company getting permission to reproduce some of their information and they were great about it. The kilns look well made, not cheap, not ridiculously pricey.

Probably a good deal in CDN bucks. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
gthomson

Re: Euclid kiln operation feedback pros and cons

Post by gthomson »

Val Eibner wrote:Looking at buying a glass kiln within the next month. Studio in BC, Canada and have been looking into the Jen Ken and Skutt kilns, but now have found out about the Euclid kiln existence, but know little about them. Looked into the archives and there is little there to inform me. Anyone have some good knowledge about them. Thanks in advance, Val :D
Hi Val,

I just picked up a Euclid R28, slightly customized (higher wattage, separate infinite switches), based on comments from this group. I went with this one since it is taller than the Evenheat (I think distance from the elements promotes evenivity, plus there's room for some sort of pot melt). Also, they're close to me.

It was reasonably priced, and ready two weeks early (!!). Now I'm scrambling to get the dedicated circuit in so I can start firing.

They were easy for this newby to deal with, and so far I'm happy with them.

Cheers,

Glenn
pisaac1

Post by pisaac1 »

Also purchased R28G as a newbie 2 years ago. Picked up at PSH in Oakville (manufacturer). Great service and advice - both pre and post purchase. Use regularly (but not daily) and have not had a chip crack warp or any other issue. As good as the day I picked it up. Will go back to up size.
Val Eibner

Post by Val Eibner »

:lol: thanks for the feedback on the Euclid kilns. I will be looking to get a larger round like the 23" or 29" with controller. Any problems with the lid elements sagging or pins dropping out? Are the kiln prices in Cdn dollars compariable with the US similiar models from Jen Ken? Just very curious and interested in this kiln. I like the idea of the viewing window in the Jen Ken and their prices are fairly reasonable. Trouble is getting them to BC/West Coast. Good to hear you are happy with your kiln. V.
Val
eibnerstudio
BC,Canada
Mark Hughes

Post by Mark Hughes »

While you are looking you should look at the Glass Glow kilns, very proudly made by Phil Teefy. These kilns are specifically made for glass fusers with care to design out the problems some kilns have. For instance there is braided refractory rope around the lid (to stop heat loss due to lid warpage). The brick in the lid is completely covered with fiberboard (keeps brick dust and chunks from falling into your work) with the lid elements suspended on ceramic rod and the lid is spring counter balanced so you can lift it with a finger. The side elements are sunk into a beveled channel (keeps them from stretching and hanging out). If that isn't enough they come with a TnF2 controller from Paragon. No I don't sell them, I just love mine!
Mark Hughes
Val Eibner

Post by Val Eibner »

Hi Mark, Yes I have excuse the saying drooled over the glassglow design from what I seen in their web site, but they are on the highend of expensive when you convert US$ into Cdn unfortunately.. :( I am a sucker for beautiful designed kilns. I have built some big gas ones in the past and have lots of memories of the experiences..blood, sweat and tears. I have been in the art biz for over 30 yrs and love to learn new ways to touch material and express myself.. Fusion has touched my heart just like salt glazing did many moons ago. Anyway, I will get my kiln soon what ever model I can afford right now. Many thanks for your input. V.
Val
eibnerstudio
BC,Canada
Judith Andre

Post by Judith Andre »

I have a Euclid oval kiln. Seems well made and they have great customer service. I think they will pretty much customize the depth etc. The top elements are in a grove that does not allow them to sag (replaced by feeding them in from the edge) My kiln does not have a separate switch for the side and top elements. Wish they had suggested that. It is a modification that I intend to make.

Judith
Judith
Kelly & Charlie MacMu

Glass Glow Kilns

Post by Kelly & Charlie MacMu »

Hi Val -
Phil Teefy at Glass Glow Kilns can be reached at e- mail philglass@aol.com or his glass shop ( 916 ) 483 - 3843 ( Rainbow Glass Sacramento California ) Phil and his wife Hazel run the business and are both great people. His kilns make me drool :D currently he is in the procees of making a HUGE tile kiln ( its gorgeous ). Im still a newbie but once Im better I will be getting a glass glow kiln. I took a class a couple weeks ago at his shop ( he was in Las Vegas at glass show ) and I still have a problem with the annealing and heating process so Phil on Monday is going to take time out of his day to show me how to work my kiln, he is not charging me a cent. Thats the type of person he is.