BE ball mold size question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Bruce Larion

BE ball mold size question

Post by Bruce Larion »

I have a Skutt 1014 (23') octagonal kiln using a 20" shelf. I had a 11 5/8" BE ball surface mold but wanted to make a larger bowl. The next step available where I buy my molds was a 20". It came last night and although it does fit on the shelf (just barely) I am concerned it is just too big to use in this particular kiln. There is slightly over 1" of space between elements and mold. Too close ? or with a slow cycle is it possible to do?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bruce
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Bruce, I never place my molds on my shelves when firing. I just set them up, perched on kiln furniture, on the bottom of my kiln.

Regarding the one inch between mold and side elements, I suspect baffling is what will besuggested to you. At ther very least I would go very very slowly when I ramped up, and would probably not fire a 20 inch round piece in that mold. Maybe only a 16 inch piece...
Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Cynthia

Re: BE ball mold size question

Post by Cynthia »

dadll wrote:I have a Skutt 1014 (23') octagonal kiln using a 20" shelf. I had a 11 5/8" BE ball surface mold but wanted to make a larger bowl. The next step available where I buy my molds was a 20". It came last night and although it does fit on the shelf (just barely) I am concerned it is just too big to use in this particular kiln. There is slightly over 1" of space between elements and mold. Too close ? or with a slow cycle is it possible to do?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
I do it all the time. The kiln is a 24" Jen Ken, I take the shelf out to get the glass as far from the top elements as possible. My mold is drilled on the side, so I don't need to worry about an air outlet...if your's isn't vented like that, notch the foot or set it on a couple three pieces of furniture. I ramp at 250 dph to 1000 then 100 dph to 1200 and get a fully slumped piece. I don't believe that the mold being so close to the side elements has created stress on the mold. I've done this dozens upon dozens of times. I suppose when the mold cracks, I'll reconsider if this use was wise... :wink:
Bruce Larion

Post by Bruce Larion »

Thank you both for your quick feedback. Sounds like I have a couple modifications to make in my current methods but the mold is a go.
Again-thanks
Bruce