Acurate forming technique/device for stringers

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Travar

Acurate forming technique/device for stringers

Post by Travar »

I'm wanting to develop a cloisonne technique on glass using stringers for the cloisonne dividers. Is it possible to bend and shape stringers accurately enough for a tight design with curves or even circles?

They would then (according to what I am visualizing in my pea brain) tack fused into place, ready for colorant (frit or high fire paints).

Suggestions? Advice?
What isn't tried won't work. --Claude McDonald
Carla Fox

Post by Carla Fox »

Have you tried bending them using a torch or candle flame? Candles work well with the thinner stringers.

Carla
Tim Swann

Post by Tim Swann »

I have no doubt that what you want to do is possible. I have seen many things made that I would have said were not possible by some of the artists on this board. I don’t think I have ever seen what you are looking to accomplish. Start small and scale things up. Bending the stringers or noodles may be more challenging then bending metal, just remember that it will take some practice to get it right. To keep the stringer in place during fusing you may need to brace the stringers in place as well as using glue when you are setting the whole thing up.

Tim
Tracy Hansen

Post by Tracy Hansen »

Thanks, Carla. Yes, I have used a torch but to control the process for tight and accurate bends seems extremely difficult. I am looking for a jump start but I may have to develop this from the ground up.
Cristi

Post by Cristi »

my pea brain asks, why use stringers? what if you made something like an interior dam? Plaster or what ever mold material would work. the dams would be the shape of the intended color areas and the spaces between (which would have been stringer) are filled with fine frit or powder to create walls to hold the color once the glass is fired and the dams removed. just one gal's meandering mind-cristi

or...wait-what if you take the mold material and carve into it the walls,
fill with frit or powder, fire and invert..releasing a lace-like piece of glass that can then be placed on the base glass and filled with color. who knows...but my mind likes to run amok.
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

My, untried suggestion: Use paper where you would put the cloisonne wire. I think the backing from stained glass copper foil would work nicely. A little glue should hold them in place on edge. Then fill the voids as you intend with frit/powder.

Fire this to at least a strong tack fuse or higher. The paper and glue will burn out.

Then apply a thin line of powder in the gaps, if there are any, or where you would have put stringers. The prefired powder/frit will not move.

A little practice/experimenting with varying thicknesses of paper and firing temps for the first fire should give a nice control over the placement of the "cloisonne wire".

If it works you are required to post pictures in lieu of my commission/fee for inventing it. haha

Jim
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
Tom T

Post by Tom T »

I have the same questions and issues. I did some test firings last night and found that Bullseye stringers bend gently at 1060 degrees and will arc nicely if held at that temperature for about 1 minute. Put the edge of the stringers on a brick, sandwiched between pieces of fiber, and held down with a shelf post. Have them suspended opposite the peephole so you can check the desired degree of bend.

I also put some around an empty can, with some soft fiber blanket around the can, and got perfect half circles. In case you don't know, you can cut them perfectly by scribing gently with a diamond drill bit exactly where you want them to break, instead of just snapping them off. This way, it is possible to perfectly join two half circles into one circle.

As for the shapes you want, I have tried, without success, heating up a cast iron frying pan and then 'frying' them till al-dente. The pan was too hot and they rose right out of the pan! However, I know that this will work if I can get the pan to 1060 degrees. So, if you have a front loading kiln, you might be able to do the same - coat the pan in kiln wash first.

Fortunately, I don't have any circles so what I am going to do is to make cross sections of my 'line drawing' with wet felt and let the stringers drop down into them. The candle and blowtorch won't work for me because as soon as the stringers get warm enough to bend, they invariably bend way too quick, which I imagine you have already discovered.
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Or you could draw the design that you want to see in your stringers on the glass. Resist the design and sandblast the well where you would fill in the colors. Fill and fire away.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

Or you could draw stringer through a vitrigraph kiln and coil it up closely around metal pipes of the desired diameter. Cut apart the coil and slump and tack fuse thr ring to close up the seam.
Nikki