Thanks to Greg Rawls

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Tony Serviente

Thanks to Greg Rawls

Post by Tony Serviente »

Just had the opportunity to look at the safety section of Gregs site, and would like to thank him for making the information not only easy to understand, but to have put it in the context of hot and warm glass. While safety consciousness is higher now than I have seen it, many of the materials we work with on a daily basis are still treated cavalierly. I know that making the pages to present the info was no half hour job, so particularly appreciate his selflessness. Thanks Greg!
barbarak

Link to Greg Rawl's site

Post by barbarak »

Would you share the link to his site? I love to take a look at it. Thanks.
Barbara
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Carole Burton

Thanks to Greg Rawls

Post by Carole Burton »

Tony... I agree totally agree with everything you said about Greg's Safety Website. Many of us non-chemically trained fuser are aware of the safety issues that are involved with fusing glass but are not quite sure how to go about protecting ourselves. Thanks for taking the time to create the nice website and simply spelling out what to do to keep ourselves healthy.

You done good Greg...... Thanks.
Carole...S.C.
Carole Burton

Thanks to G R

Post by Carole Burton »

Try www. gregorieglass.com

Sorry can't figure out how to do it blue..

Carole....S.C.
Carole Burton

Thanks to G R

Post by Carole Burton »

Try www. gregorieglass.com

Sorry can't figure out how to do it blue..

Carole....S.C.
travisraybold

Post by travisraybold »

this is a great to have a summary of the safety issues available! ive been debating what steps to take first in making my studio a safe one, and this list helps me a lot.

is the kiln wash you scrape off after firing just "nusiance dust", or do i need to take it outside, wear a respirator, and vacuum it witth a hepa shark? right now im just scraping it off on a table and using my shop vac (waiting for a hepa shark to come in).

im planning on trying to avoid using fiber paper whenever possible, as im assuming kiln wash is a safer alternative, is that generally assumed to be correct?

thanks,

--travis
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

WOW! Ya'll are way to kind! Thank you! Being a safety and health "geek" and a di-hard glass fuser, I'm glad to share 20 years of experience in the industrial hygiene, toxicology and safety field!

Travis- kiln wash that you scrap off a kiln shelf would be considered nuisance dust. When I'm just scraping, I don't bother with a respirator as the stuff does not become airborne and respirable. However, sometimes I need to sand and then I put on a dust respirator and turn on my Shopvac with HEPA filter to keep the dust under control.
Greg
Judith Andre

Post by Judith Andre »

Good information. Thanks! How about a section on eye protection?

Judith
Judith
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Greg Rawls wrote:WOW! Ya'll are way to kind! Thank you! Being a safety and health "geek" and a di-hard glass fuser, I'm glad to share 20 years of experience in the industrial hygiene, toxicology and safety field!

Travis- kiln wash that you scrap off a kiln shelf would be considered nuisance dust. When I'm just scraping, I don't bother with a respirator as the stuff does not become airborne and respirable. However, sometimes I need to sand and then I put on a dust respirator and turn on my Shopvac with HEPA filter to keep the dust under control.
Can aybody recommend a decent hepa filter shop vac? How much do you have top spend?
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

Thanks Gred

for a wealth of sober information.
May I include a link in the WG dictionary
under safety?

-lauri
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

>>>Can aybody recommend a decent hepa filter shop vac? How much do you have top spend?

Go to Lowes/Home Depot. They make HEPA filter for Shop Vacs.

>>>Thanks Gred for a wealth of sober information. May I include a link in the WG dictionary under safety?

Sure! "Gred" aka "Greg"
Greg
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Bert-Sears also sells them. I have a couple of big Sears shop vacs and have used their Hepa fillters for a while, with good results.