adhesive?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Ann Demko

adhesive?

Post by Ann Demko »

I tried this earlier and since I am a computer flunkie it went nowhere. So here it goes again. I have made three 6' tiles and want to ,ount them on a sheet of steel. I wanted to mount them on a grid but couldn't find one that the "weave" wans't too large. Anyway, I spotted some shelving at Hobby Lobby. They were steel sheet with diamond cutouts all over, just perfect. I asked the manager if he had any damage shelving he was going to get rid of and he did. Yeah for me. I am going to sandblast the paint off and then texturize the surface with a sanding disk. Any way, I am going to rough up the backside of my glass tiles and rough up the steel. I planned on using epoxy unless someone else has a better adhesive for the job. The tiles are kind of heavy being layered. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time. Annhttp://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkPhot ... 4683&size=
Brock

Post by Brock »

Epoxy, Silicone, Construction Adhesive, even a combination. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
skin_mechanic

Post by skin_mechanic »

I use Devcon 2-part acrylic epoxy for bonding different materials. Their white epoxy is superior to the clear stuff, you can get it at Wal-Mart, Lowes, or Home Depot. The double syringe is a bit of a PITA though, I cut it apart and eyeball the amounts. JB Weld works good, but you have to get the mating surfaces antiseptically clean for a good bond. With the Devcon, swabbing the surfaces with alcohol, or lacquer thinner is sufficient.
Lynn g

Post by Lynn g »

E 6000 or Liquid Nails have been successful for me.
Lynn g
"Patriotism is not enough, I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone." - Dame Edith Cavell
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

White thinset with acrylic additive is a good one.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Linda Reed

Post by Linda Reed »

As long as both sides are roughed up, lots of adhesives should do the trick.

The blacks and whites and grays should look good on the background you describe! Post a picture for us when you have it done.

Mounting/framing/displaying is a great untapped playground.

\:D/

Linda