Hey Dick . . .

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Dick Ditore

Post by Dick Ditore »

I too am wondering who else got in. I know there are probably politics involved to some degree. There is everywhere. In my case however, I do not know anybody at Pilchuck, and this is my first application. Have heart. I hope that to some degree they read the application and look at the slides to get a good match for the class. Who knows? I am anxious to see who my classmates are. I checked my bank. They cashed my check, so I guess it is REAL!!!

Still in shock.

Dick
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Congratulations!!! I've never applied for anything at Pilchuck but I will someday I'm sure so its good to know you don't have to know the big wigs. Please let us know all about it in great detail!
Amy
Havi

Pilchuck

Post by Havi »

Dick,
I join in congratulating you, still hoping that it might take longer to get all the way to Israel........
However I do not recall having been asked to send slides. I just sent a fax. Now I realise that my chances are even smaller
:cry:
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com
Monica

Pilchuck randomness

Post by Monica »

It's not unreasonable that classes like Klaus' aren't filled solely by lottery. If a prospective student is awarded a juried scholarship (and signed up for Klaus' class), then it seems unlikely that s/he would be expected to wait for a lottery slot as well. Also, there are institutions that are partners with Pilchuck, and those institutions have influence for scholarship awards. Class sizes are small, and applicants are many.
etaidori

Post by etaidori »

We are delighted that Klaus Moje has agreed to teach at Pilchuck this summer.There were close to 100 applicants for his class: there is room for 12 students. Consequently, there are many, many disappointed people and a few very, very happy ones. You have heard from both categories in this chat room.

I want to get the facts out so that this disappointment does not continue to fester, as it unfortunately seems to be doing.

Of those accepted for this class, 3 were scholarship recipients. Each of the remaining 9 students received the higher draw numbers in the computerized lottery process that is currently Pilchuck's way of chosing among the many who apply.

I am certainly open to receiving constructive feedback about other mechanisms that might work as fair ways of filling classes. However, the suggestion that Klaus' class was filled unfairly or that the successful students were those "who knew the right people" is unjustified, disappointing and ultimately destructive.

Patricia Watkinson
Executive Director
Pilchuck Glass School
PWatkinson@Pilchuck.com
206.621.8422 (ext.22)
Brock

Post by Brock »

Mea Culpa.

I should not have posted an inflammatory remark like that.

I was wrong, and I apologize.

I also apologize for saying my advice would be ignored.

I have given Pilchuck feedback in the past. I send a letter after attending courses there, sometimes as much as 4 pages. I hope you will continue to consider advice received in this way, and that Pilchuck will continue to be the premier multi-disciplinary glass school in the world.

Sincerely,

Brock Craig

etaidori wrote:We are delighted that Klaus Moje has agreed to teach at Pilchuck this summer.There were close to 100 applicants for his class: there is room for 12 students. Consequently, there are many, many disappointed people and a few very, very happy ones. You have heard from both categories in this chat room.

I want to get the facts out so that this disappointment does not continue to fester, as it unfortunately seems to be doing.

Of those accepted for this class, 3 were scholarship recipients. Each of the remaining 9 students received the higher draw numbers in the computerized lottery process that is currently Pilchuck's way of chosing among the many who apply.

I am certainly open to receiving constructive feedback about other mechanisms that might work as fair ways of filling classes. However, the suggestion that Klaus' class was filled unfairly or that the successful students were those "who knew the right people" is unjustified, disappointing and ultimately destructive.

Patricia Watkinson
Executive Director
Pilchuck Glass School
PWatkinson@Pilchuck.com
206.621.8422 (ext.22)
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

I should not have posted an inflammatory remark like that.

I was wrong, and I apologize.
:-k Where's Brock and what have you done with him you filthy imposture!?