welding cloth on walls

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lisa Feldman

welding cloth on walls

Post by Lisa Feldman »

I'm setting up a kiln in a small space. I can put the 18" between the kiln and walls, but am thinking of putting welding or silica cloth on the walls. Does anyone have any experience with this or other heat-proofing on their walls? (My basement walls are cement block with old wood panelling.)
Any other suggestions are welcome.
Brock

Post by Brock »

You don't need it.

A kiln would have to be falling apart before the heat it generated would be any problem to walls 18" away.

Can't hurt though. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

If you are really concerned about heat, you can put up cement tile board over the walls. Install the board on 1 inch spacers so air can circulate behind the board.

Try the kiln before you do anything, check the kiln surface temperature as it fires. My bet is it doesn't get very hot.
gthomson

Post by gthomson »

Ron Coleman wrote:If you are really concerned about heat, you can put up cement tile board over the walls. Install the board on 1 inch spacers so air can circulate behind the board.

Try the kiln before you do anything, check the kiln surface temperature as it fires. My bet is it doesn't get very hot.
This is reassuring. I'm just setting up my kiln area now, and I have it on a tiled platform, with a minimum 15" space to fire resistant ceiling tiles (think Ceramaguard). The tiles are screwed to 1 5/8 steel studs as stand offs.

Sound reasonable?

Glenn
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

rdguy wrote:
This is reassuring. I'm just setting up my kiln area now, and I have it on a tiled platform, with a minimum 15" space to fire resistant ceiling tiles (think Ceramaguard). The tiles are screwed to 1 5/8 steel studs as stand offs.

Sound reasonable?

Glenn
Sounds good to me. Even thin sheetmetal will work as a heat shield if it has an air space behind it.
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Ron,
Cute little guy there sipping coffee.... so, now we know about your job, you think about how to enginner your next project (glass one, not work one), and you sit there reading the paper, plans and this board.
I have been trying to talk Jim into coming to WGW... he won't. I guess you will jsut have to forward him a picture again when I go back and visit.
Now, about this subject... this has been discussed a few times.. including by me once or twice and the conclusion has always been the hardy backer or other tile backing board with the 1 inch space behind it. I have that in my utility room and it works fine.. the only thing that gets hot besides the kiln is me when I am peaking...

Stuart
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman