bending metal rod for drop ring vase

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Pam

bending metal rod for drop ring vase

Post by Pam »

I've been making some drop ring vases recently and thought it'd be easy to get some iron and bend it into a simple holder. I've discovered that metal is much more uncooperative than I anticipated and would like to know if anyone could guide me to some info on how to do it. I've tried 1/8" iron and 1/4" braising rod, heating them with a propane torch then bending them around an old piece of 2" pipe. The bends always turn out really funky instead of nice smooth round curves I envision. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Pam
Tyler Frisby

Post by Tyler Frisby »

Try an Oxygen + acetalyne torvh, it burns hotter and gives a more needle pointed style flame tip alloing for more controlled (precise)heating, thus giving the ability to get 90 deg angles and stuff. I played with one for a while and I want one, there too kool.

you can rent the tanks by the month a nd just pay for gas , but i think you'll be stuck buying the torch part :(

Hope I helped,
Tyler
charlie

Post by charlie »

pipe benders at the hardware store may do what you want.
Bert Weiss

Re: bending metal rod for drop ring vase

Post by Bert Weiss »

Pam wrote:I've been making some drop ring vases recently and thought it'd be easy to get some iron and bend it into a simple holder. I've discovered that metal is much more uncooperative than I anticipated and would like to know if anyone could guide me to some info on how to do it. I've tried 1/8" iron and 1/4" braising rod, heating them with a propane torch then bending them around an old piece of 2" pipe. The bends always turn out really funky instead of nice smooth round curves I envision. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Pam
Ask a blacksmith shop to make them.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Clifford Ross

Post by Clifford Ross »

Hi- welding material suppliers can sell circles of many diameters. Squares, too. Ask King Architectural Metals for help or maybe a closer supplier. They are in Dallas, Baltimore, and LA. 8)
Dick Kolpack

Post by Dick Kolpack »

The simplest way is to get a piece of pipe the size you want, clamp your stock (vise grip) to one end and coil up a length. Cut the coils and your home free...well except for the welding, clean up and painting.
Dick
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

I use Bert's method. My local smith makes rings for me at about $5 each.
warnerr

$49.99 ring forming machine.

Post by warnerr »

I prefer using inexpensive benders for truely smoothe curves. Http://www.harborfreight.com has a couple of products that will bend or make rings. Item #36790-0VGA Planetary Ring Roller will make rings from 3" to several feet in diameter. This tool is $49.99 and is suitable for modest use. They also have a general purpose bender that sells for about $79.00.
Pam

Post by Pam »

Thanks to all for the good advice. Before I give up and have someone make them for me I'l try the planetary ring tool and finding out more about the best kind of metal. Will post the results if I'm successful!