What's the name of the stuff?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Vickie

What's the name of the stuff?

Post by Vickie »

I've read there is a product that you can use when fusing dichroic pieces that eliminates the "black halo" that usually happens. Does anyone know the name, and where I can get it?
Thanks,
Vickie
Tim Swann

Post by Tim Swann »

Vickie,

Can you give more information on the black halo?

Tim
Brock

Post by Brock »

All I can think of, is that you are referring to the edge of the black glass the dichro is applied to. As the glass fuses, the vertical face becomes a 1/8" or less border around the dichro surface, as the glass melts down to plane. If that is it, there isn't any spray on product that will eliminate this.

There are other ways. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Tim Swann

Post by Tim Swann »

Brock,

That's all I can think "black halo" would be, but you never know.

Tim
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

buy dichro on clear, not black.
if you want black substrate, cut the base from black, and put dichroic on clear on top of the black.
Vickie

black halo

Post by Vickie »

I think my halo sounds like what Brock described, but I found the article which said to use Fuse Master 975 Black Magic Overglaze. The article says to apply this to the ground edges of the dichro to prevent a "shadow" when the project is fired. Have you heard of, or used this stuff. Maybe the "shadow" is not the same thing as my "halo"
Thanks all,
Vickie
Brock

Re: black halo

Post by Brock »

Vickie wrote:I think my halo sounds like what Brock described, but I found the article which said to use Fuse Master 975 Black Magic Overglaze. The article says to apply this to the ground edges of the dichro to prevent a "shadow" when the project is fired. Have you heard of, or used this stuff. Maybe the "shadow" is not the same thing as my "halo"
Thanks all,
Vickie
Often the appearance of that flattened vertical face on the edge of a piece of glass, is different than the appearance of the glass itself. I don't know why, I just know it can happen. An overglaze of any type can ameliorate this effect. Brock
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Isn't the Black Halo that thing that hovers over Evil Amy?

Brock, did you ever figure out what it means when someone declares 'Oh God, my Cheerios!'?

So many mysteries.
AVLucky

Post by AVLucky »

Vickie wrote:I think my halo sounds like what Brock described, but I found the article which said to use Fuse Master 975 Black Magic Overglaze. The article says to apply this to the ground edges of the dichro to prevent a "shadow" when the project is fired. Have you heard of, or used this stuff. Maybe the "shadow" is not the same thing as my "halo"
Thanks all,
Vickie
The "shadow" is probably the scummy/devitrified edge that happens if you've used a grinder on your glass before firing. That can show up on any color.
And I think the stuff is actually called Back Magic, because it's meant to be used on the underside of pieces. Since it fires at 975 degrees, you can fire a piece upside down to overglaze the back without reaching a temperature that would melt the glass and affect the front side. I don't know what would happen if you apply this overglaze and fire to a full fuse, or even a regular fire polish temp, but I don't think it's meant to be fired that high.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Don Burt wrote:Isn't the Black Halo that thing that hovers over Evil Amy?

Brock, did you ever figure out what it means when someone declares 'Oh God, my Cheerios!'?

So many mysteries.
Not really. Brock