help cutting out drop ring from fiberboard

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Sandi

help cutting out drop ring from fiberboard

Post by Sandi »

I have instructions on how to make a fiberboard drop ring but the information uses a 1" board. My friend bought me 1/2" board by mistake and I don't have the heart to ask her to return it. Can I use the 1/2" to make the drop ring or should I put two pieces together to make the 1" and if so what do I use to attach the two pieces together?
Thanks
Sandy
Bert Weiss

Re: help cutting out drop ring from fiberboard

Post by Bert Weiss »

Sandi wrote:I have instructions on how to make a fiberboard drop ring but the information uses a 1" board. My friend bought me 1/2" board by mistake and I don't have the heart to ask her to return it. Can I use the 1/2" to make the drop ring or should I put two pieces together to make the 1" and if so what do I use to attach the two pieces together?
Thanks
Sandy
I/2" will work . The problem is that it is fragile and easily broken. 1" is also fragile and easily broken.

I'm not up on the latest glue for fiber board.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Marty

Post by Marty »

Use the 2 pieces. You shouldn't have to attach them together- where are they going to go?- but you could use straight pins.
Sandi

Post by Sandi »

Thanks Bert and Marty. I was concerned if I just placed one piece on top of the other, when the glass was slumping that it might slide the top board out of place with the motion of the glass moving. This is my first experment with fiberboard and wanted to know from the experts first.
Sandy
lohman

Post by lohman »

You can use 1" or 3/4" screws to hold your layers together. I get them at Home Depot and they look like drywall screws. Make sure they're steel.
If you drive the screws in from the top, countersink them and fill the hole with kiln wash. If they're not too long and you drive them up from the bottom, the top surface of your drop ring stays smooth.