Liquitex Acrylic Interference

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Andrew

Liquitex Acrylic Interference

Post by Andrew »

Liquitex makes a set of interference colors that consist of a suspension of titanium coated mica partlicle in an acrylic medium. I've tested all the colors and they hold up remarkably well to a full fuse. They tend to fuse to a metallic pastel and can be mixed. Colors come in green, orange, red, violet, blue and gold.

I mixed the colors with alcohol in a ratio of 4:1 (acrylic to alchohol) and then airbrushed them onto test pieces and brought them to 1490 (venting at 1000 for 5-10 seconds) for 30 minutes and the colors held. One thing I like about them is that the acrylic dries to a fairly durable shell so it doesn't smear and can be wiped free of dust before firing. One thing you can't do is cover them with a clear cap, even with a second firing.

Andy
Lyn

Post by Lyn »

Andrew,
What happens when you try to cap them? Could you paint the lusters on? Were there examples at your site?
That black and white plate is wonderful, a glass saw for intricate cuts?
thanks, Lyn (Born n raised in Minn.)
Andrew

Capping

Post by Andrew »

All of my experiments were done with spectrum 96, although I think the glass makes no difference. They paint nicely on glass, although the effect looks best with a thin coat. I did sponge a mixture of blue and gold on a piece and that worked as well. I mixed some blue and gold together and got a pale gold with blue highlights. I don't paint so someone skilled in that could probably do some neat things.

When I capped them, the colors faded to a dull grey. I have an explanation that a coating expert told me but I wanted to check it with him before I broadcasted it.

The black and white plates on my website were done with waterjet - which I don't recommend for a number of reasons . . . That's another thread and a long story.

Andy