Micas?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Geri Comstock

Micas?

Post by Geri Comstock »

We're in the process of painting parts of the interior of our house, so I went to Home Depot the other day to look at Ralph Lauren paints. RL has some powdered stuff in jars (at least I think it was powdered) that you can use on walls called "Metallics", in copper, silver and gold. I was wondering if these are actually micas that can be used on glass. Has anyone tried them? If not, I'll get some the next time I go there and try them on glass and let you all know if they work.

Geri
Bert Weiss

Re: Micas?

Post by Bert Weiss »

Geri Comstock wrote:We're in the process of painting parts of the interior of our house, so I went to Home Depot the other day to look at Ralph Lauren paints. RL has some powdered stuff in jars (at least I think it was powdered) that you can use on walls called "Metallics", in copper, silver and gold. I was wondering if these are actually micas that can be used on glass. Has anyone tried them? If not, I'll get some the next time I go there and try them on glass and let you all know if they work.

Geri
Same stuff. It is also used in makeup that sparkles. The mica is not only temperature stable, it is also UV stable so it works for interior or exterior paints. It can also be powder coated along with clear coat.

I have been experimenting with mixing the micas with clear enamel and so far I have been successfull, 50/50 by weight was enough flux to stick it to glass and not enough so that the flux stuck to my mold.

I imagine that you can make paint by mixing micas in with various clear coat materials like urethane. You can mix them in to colored paints as well, but much like we found in glass if it sinks in, it will disappear, so you need a lot to do that.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Avery Anderson

Post by Avery Anderson »

When I first discovered micas some 15 years ago, it was by reading an article in my Mom's Ceramics magazine. Shortly thereafter, I was thumbing through the Sepp Leaf catalog and saw their listing for micas. They were selling them to be mixed with varnishes, shellacs, and acrylic paints which were for painting picture frames.

Ferro sells a metallic line of enamels now which are identical in color to the base mica colors of russet, gold, copper and silver (Fantasie colors). I'm sure they have simply mixed the micas with clear enamels. According to Ferro, you can intermix these colors with Summerday to create different hues and colors.

Avery