Thick cuts with Taurus 11

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Linda Denli

Thick cuts with Taurus 11

Post by Linda Denli »

Having been inspired by all the high fire and pot melt posts recently I have made some quite interesting pieces, however cutting them into circles seems to be a tricky. The one I cut today was 3/8th inches in thickness with a diameter of 16 inches. I used the little circle cutter device which came adrift three times during the cutting process. Cutting was very slow and I didn't think I was going to make it to the end of the cut without some sort of disaster, I didn't want to push it too hard in case I broke the blade.

If anyone has any advice on cutting thick circles I'd be very grateful to hear from you.

Best wishes

Linda
Linda from London
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

I use a tile saw for this and just keep making straight cuts on it until it's circle-ish then finish it up on the WBS. Bert would probably just use a regular hand cutter, but I know for sure I can't do it that way!
Brock

Post by Brock »

I cut them by hand, but it's not for everybody, i guess. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Brock wrote:I cut them by hand, but it's not for everybody, i guess. Brock
I'm heartened to hear that it can work with the right touch. I suggest that you need a good pair of pliers that are designed for cutting thicker glass, the right cutter (134º angle wheel). Oh yeah, I'd use kerosene here just to be safer. Mineral spirits will evaporate before you are done.

Brock, is your strategy to cut a circle 1" larger all around and then plier the score along to run it? I would probably take that approach with glass that is not transparent.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Brock

Post by Brock »

Bert Weiss wrote:
Brock wrote:I cut them by hand, but it's not for everybody, i guess. Brock
I'm heartened to hear that it can work with the right touch. I suggest that you need a good pair of pliers that are designed for cutting thicker glass, the right cutter (134º angle wheel). Oh yeah, I'd use kerosene here just to be safer. Mineral spirits will evaporate before you are done.

Brock, is your strategy to cut a circle 1" larger all around and then plier the score along to run it? I would probably take that approach with glass that is not transparent.[/quote

Yup! I haven't ever had a problem with this method, but I make sure I get a good solid score, then just snap away the excess. I don't have professional tools for this, just my normal stuff. It works, but ya gotta believe! Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .