Pre-Fire Soft Shelf fron Jen-Ken?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Alecia Helton

Pre-Fire Soft Shelf fron Jen-Ken?

Post by Alecia Helton »

I ordered a soft shelf with my new Jen-Ken. There's absolutely no mention of it in the materials that came with the kiln. Do I need to pre fire it before I use it?

In one of my previous corporate incarnations I wrote owners manuals. I'm really amazed by what's omitted from kiln manuals and how many times I have to read what is there to understand it. Or is it just me?

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
dee

Re: Pre-Fire Soft Shelf fron Jen-Ken?

Post by dee »

Alecia Helton wrote:I ordered a soft shelf with my new Jen-Ken. There's absolutely no mention of it in the materials that came with the kiln. Do I need to pre fire it before I use it?

In one of my previous corporate incarnations I wrote owners manuals. I'm really amazed by what's omitted from kiln manuals and how many times I have to read what is there to understand it. Or is it just me?

Alecia
LOL having been thru the taurus 3 user manual and had a discussion with their engr who wrote the manual about what was missing - one of my previous lives involved being a tech writer and doing the odd sw manual here and there - the kiln manuals are about average - but then any time i've tried to look up something in a microgreedy manual i get entirely frustrated also ;P

i have 2 jen kens - what do you mean by a soft shelf? all the shelves i've gotten from jen ken are mullite shelves... those don't need to be prefired and i didn't prefire the kilns either, just kilnwashed my first shelf, put some glass on it and started working out my firing schedule for that particular item.....
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Alecia Helton

Post by Alecia Helton »

Dee,

I bought and Oval 13 with 2 half shelves of mullite, each 20" long. Because of weight, if you want a full shelf, they sell you a shelf made of a softer material. It was not labeled as to what it was made of. It has more substance than fiber paper I've seen and is more porous than fiber board.

I guess I need to check with the factory.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
dee

Post by dee »

Alecia Helton wrote:Dee,

I bought and Oval 13 with 2 half shelves of mullite, each 20" long. Because of weight, if you want a full shelf, they sell you a shelf made of a softer material. It was not labeled as to what it was made of. It has more substance than fiber paper I've seen and is more porous than fiber board.

I guess I need to check with the factory.

Alecia
yup, check with jen ken and see what that shelf is made out of and what they recommend as far as prefiring....
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com