Gluing glass to fabric

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Carol Silrum

Gluing glass to fabric

Post by Carol Silrum »

A friend is wanting to stretch her artistic wings by making wall hangings. She would like to add small pieces of fused glass. What would be the best glue to use? The glass pieces would be about an inch square.
Thanks!
Brock

Post by Brock »

Silicone? From ineptness in the studio, I know it sticks well to fabric. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Carol Silrum

Post by Carol Silrum »

Thanks Brock! You have a ? after Silicone -- is there a brand name for it?
Carol
Brock

Post by Brock »

Silrum wrote:Thanks Brock! You have a ? after Silicone -- is there a brand name for it?
Carol
I usually just grab anything in the Silicone section, but lots of people swear by GE Silicone.

I usually swear at it. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Carol Silrum

Post by Carol Silrum »

Brock - Thanks much! Glad she will be working with it & not me -- I do enough swearing over other things!!
Carol
Carol Silrum

Post by Carol Silrum »

Brock - Thanks much! Glad she will be working with it & not me -- I do enough swearing over other things!!
Carol
Lynn g

Post by Lynn g »

I glued some fused pieces of dichro to a t-shirt several years ago using a product which I believe was "Jewel Glue" by Aleene (similar to their "Tacky Glue" but specifically for gluing jewels to fabric). Easy to use, not smelly like silicone. It has held up well (I still wear the shirt occasionally when teaching a glass class), but does not hold up through the washer and dryer (laundry-sorting failure!). You can hand-wash. I looked for the bottle, but I guess I used it up or tossed it. If it's still available your local craft store should have it.
Lynn g
"Patriotism is not enough, I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone." - Dame Edith Cavell