Large Sheet Glass and Color

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

brendab

Post by brendab »

I am new to glass fusing, and would like to know if it is possible to fuse 2 sheets of Bullsey 24"x72" clear sheets and then add various sizes and colors of frit? The result I am hoping for is a mottling of the colors while retaining some of the shapes of the larger pieces of frit. Could I also try a compatible 'streaky' product, crush it, and sprinkle it on the glass? If this color addition is possible, would there be any point in trying to sandwich it in between the two sheets of glass?
Thanks in Advance
brenda
Bert Weiss

Re: Large Sheet Glass and Color

Post by Bert Weiss »

brendab wrote:I am new to glass fusing, and would like to know if it is possible to fuse 2 sheets of Bullsey 24"x72" clear sheets and then add various sizes and colors of frit? The result I am hoping for is a mottling of the colors while retaining some of the shapes of the larger pieces of frit. Could I also try a compatible 'streaky' product, crush it, and sprinkle it on the glass? If this color addition is possible, would there be any point in trying to sandwich it in between the two sheets of glass?
Thanks in Advance
brenda
Brenda

As long as all of the glasses are compatible all of your ideas can work with a bit of learning curve. Start small and when it is working for you, enlarge.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

Bert Weiss wrote: Start small and when it is working for you, enlarge.
Or just go for it! Experiment with the full sheets. That way the experience will be much more expensive and you'll not forget it as easily.

Just joking...As Bert said, you can try almost anything but try it at a small enough scale that you can afford to trash it.

Jim
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
brendab

Post by brendab »

Dear Bert:
Thanks for your thoughtful advice. I have found some interesting information in previous postings, after I demo with some small pieces, I would like to find someone who has a kiln large enough to handle the large sheets...
brenda
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

brendab wrote:Dear Bert:
Thanks for your thoughtful advice. I have found some interesting information in previous postings, after I demo with some small pieces, I would like to find someone who has a kiln large enough to handle the large sheets...
brenda
Where are you located? Most of the big kilns are in the Pacific Northwest. I have a big one in NH. Others are dotted around.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Lynn g

Post by Lynn g »

Brenda,

You might contact Bullseye Glass (click at top of page). They offer a "Painting with Light" class which sounds like what you are wanting to do. If Portland is not practical for you, they might be able to suggest someone who could help you.
Lynn g
"Patriotism is not enough, I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone." - Dame Edith Cavell
brendab

Post by brendab »

Dear Lynn:
Very good idea...it sounds like something that I could use!!!Can't wait to call them on Monday.
Thanks again...
brendab
brendab

Post by brendab »

Dear Bert:
I am in Calgary and my partner is in Seattle...ideally I would like to work with someone nearby, but ultimately, location doesn't matter as much as kiln size , expertise and capacity.
brendab
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

brendab wrote:Dear Bert:
I am in Calgary and my partner is in Seattle...ideally I would like to work with someone nearby, but ultimately, location doesn't matter as much as kiln size , expertise and capacity.
brendab
Look up Becky Bergsma in Seattle, or Carol Swann in Black Creek BC near Comox.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
brendab

Post by brendab »

Dear Bert:
Thank you so much for the leads, I will get in touch with both of them!!
Cheers
brendab