matte finish?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Ann Demko

matte finish?

Post by Ann Demko »

Quick question here. If I sandblast both sides of a blank, then fire to a higher temp than slump will the shelf side get the desired results or should I fire then flip? If I fire and then flip what happens to the prefired now shelf side? Thanks Ann
Brock

Re: matte finish?

Post by Brock »

Ann Demko wrote:Quick question here. If I sandblast both sides of a blank, then fire to a higher temp than slump will the shelf side get the desired results or should I fire then flip? If I fire and then flip what happens to the prefired now shelf side? Thanks Ann
What are you tryimg to achieve? You can really only fire polish the up side of a blank.

The hotter you go, the more shelf/paper texture the back of your blank will pick up.

If you're slumping, sandblasting the back of your blank prior, will yield a nice matte finish.

Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Ann Demko

matte finish

Post by Ann Demko »

Brock, Thanks for the reply. What I was looking for is a matte finish on both sides. So if I read you correctly, I can probably get the desired effects by sandblasting, then slumping. The slump temp wouldn't be hot enough to fire polish so I should still have the matte finish on top too, right? Ann
Brock

Re: matte finish

Post by Brock »

Ann Demko wrote:Brock, Thanks for the reply. What I was looking for is a matte finish on both sides. So if I read you correctly, I can probably get the desired effects by sandblasting, then slumping. The slump temp wouldn't be hot enough to fire polish so I should still have the matte finish on top too, right? Ann
Yes. It won't be quite as matte as it was prior to firing, but a low slump, 1150-1200, will give you a fairly matte surface that won't hold fingerprints and stains as badly as just sandblasted. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .