John Reyntiens and Pilchuk

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kathie Karancz

John Reyntiens and Pilchuk

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Hey guys: I am soooooo messed up right now. I am writing from my computer at home so I hope your answers will make it here. I JUST GOT MY LETTER FROM PILCHUK and I GOT ACCEPTED!!!!! I have gone from screaming in joy, now to OH MY GOD - I have to make sure I know what I'm doing and it is the right thing to do. I had put Klaus Moje as my first pick and then John Reyntiens. I got picked for John's session. After my heart stopped beating at a 100 miles an hour and talking to my Engineer spouse (totally practical....), I now have these questions:
- I worked in flat stained glass for over 25 years and have now been fusing of and on for 3 years. John's class says that it is structural and dealing with leaded class. Does anybody have any idea what he teaches??? I looked at his website and see that he's not all about "huge building projects", but do you guys think I will get enough out of the class for my fusing, etc.? Can anybody out there help me decide whether this is the right thing for me to do?? I am sooo screwed up right now. This is definitely NOT a cheap decision!!!!! :-k
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com
Brock

Post by Brock »

I just read the description of the course in Pilchuck's catalogue, and you're going to focus on:

painting, staining, slumping, gilding, sandblasting, laminating, enamelling and UV-glue bonding.

Is that what you want?

I also have to say that the course you are enrolled in, is not necessarily the only thing you'll be exposed to.

If you go, wander around, and check out everything.

Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Catharine Newell

Post by Catharine Newell »

Kathie,

I'll be at the same session, in Janusz W's course...

Brock hit it right on the nose: Pilchuck is all about being smack dab in the middle of the most creative environment you can possibly imagine. Incredible conversations abound - in and out of the studio, in and out of your particular course. Private time in the sun on the hill, or wandering out in the back of beyond, is key. It's a reflective, insightful, thoughtful, energetic, exhausting, and amazingly inspirational personal journey that will inform your work in ways you can't now visualize. It's not at all about completing a body of work during your time on campus.

The Reyntien course description must have spoken to some part of your creative self or you wouldn't have selected it as a second choice. Perhaps you responded to Reyntien aesthetics?

Sometimes you just need to follow your gut instincts... Good luck with your decision!

Catharine
Brock

Post by Brock »

You'll have plenty of time for browsing Catharine, that's the problem/opportunity in casting classes. Usually lots of dead time once kilns are loaded for a 2, 3, or more, day firing. May drop in. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

Janusz's (?) class will be both hot and kiln casting. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a hot casting session every day. Catherine, you're going to be toasted.

Do it Kathie. John's a great guy. You'll want to go back every summer. You'll gain connections and friends in the UK, the US and many other places in the world. It's not just the new techniques you may learn but the new ideas, combinations and perspectives you'll have on what you do and what's possible. It's much bigger than the one class you take.

ch
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

Kathie,

You'd be nuts not to go! Just do it! Go for it! Live a little!

Susan
Dick Ditore

Post by Dick Ditore »

Congrats Kathie. I think everyone is right. I am looking forward to seeing and talking with all the classes. Catherine, nice to hear you will be there! Look forward to seeing you again.
Dick Ditore

Post by Dick Ditore »

oops. Sorry Catherine, just realized you are in session 1. Sorry I will miss you.

Dick