Question On Firing Reusche Enamels & Stains

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Dani

Post by Dani »

Bert Weiss wrote:
Kristina wrote:I will head for the store & get the Glass Plus today! I also read 1 part Vinegar to 5 parts water I think in the archives? Is that effective?

And while on the subject of Archives, putty was covered widely...

Bert you use a homemade mix of whiting & linseed oil, & if need be thinned with turpentine? What proportions?

You wrote that you thumb it in; & then do you use whiting & a pointed stick to remove excess?

How long do you leave it set before doing the final cleaning & patina or coloring of the putty?

How do you color it to match the black patina??
Vinegar will likely dissolve enamel.

I recommend buying linseed oil putty. It used to be used by painters as a spackle for woodwork. Once you understand the material, you can make it yourself. I have no idea of the recipe, you just start kneading whiting in to some linseed oil. It takes a lot of whiting. Old timers used red lead to make it dry faster. You can stick it once it is all in there. You vigorously rub the leads with whiting and a bristle scrub brush. The leads turn the whiting gray.

I believe that you must be taught by a master to properly learn how to tuck flat leads. From the very first steps of patterning and cutting there are nuances that will yield fast and strong construction. You will not figure these out by common sense. No other style of lead came, leaded glass is as strong or long lasting. I don't wish to argue about copper foil.
Actually, I've seen a book that has some good illustration on "kissing" or tucking lead came. I think it's one of the Jenny French books which are actually pretty recent and decent.... not sure why they didn't become more popular. Tucking is a good way to stabilize a window. In fact, someone could write a short how-to book on that and other lead factors.... like using different size leads, designing well with it, and proper puttying.