How perfect are you?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

charlie

Post by charlie »

you know, i don't think i've ever had a piece that i felt was perfect. however, those same problems, when the pieces are in the hands of others, are usually never found, or are at least expected since it is a handmade item.

when i'm building something in wood, i try to find interesting pieces of wood (knot holes, interesting grain patterns or color streaks). some find that much more interesting than straight, even, and (imho) bland wood, where as some want the clearness and evenness of unflawed wood.

i think it all comes down to the opinion of the buyer, whether the buyer is paying money in a gallery/special order, or the buyer is your grannie who bakes you chocolate cookies.
charlie

Post by charlie »

CM Fox wrote:One is a story of Navajo weavers (this may or may not be true, but I like it). I was told the women weavers purposely weave a flaw into their work. It's because only gods can make things perfect, not us humans.
there's always a thread that leads from the interior of the blanket to the outside edge.

i've been told that this is so the gods can have a method to escape, unlike something like a dreamweaver where it's job is to trap the nightmare gods.
Bob

Post by Bob »

An experienced artist once said when I was fretting over a flaw was "If people want perfection they should go to KMart".

Cheers,

Bob