SUPER SATURATED COLOR,,,what is it Q

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

rodney

SUPER SATURATED COLOR,,,what is it Q

Post by rodney »

i know there is colored glass that is available that has SUPER SATURATED COLOR,,,something that i could break up, and mix with clear to make transparent colors,,,does anyone know the name of this glass, and where to get it,,,,thanks,rodney
Bert Weiss

Re: SUPER SATURATED COLOR,,,what is it Q

Post by Bert Weiss »

rodney wrote:i know there is colored glass that is available that has SUPER SATURATED COLOR,,,something that i could break up, and mix with clear to make transparent colors,,,does anyone know the name of this glass, and where to get it,,,,thanks,rodney
I'm not sure what you are talking about except that there is stuff called powder blue. It is glass with as much cobalt as can be saturated in it. Blowers use it instead of just cobalt oxide to make a pot of blue glass. Otherwise your dreaming.... unless it is Thompson enamel which is not so great to me.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
AVLucky

Post by AVLucky »

Olympic color rods http://www.glasscolor.com has the kind that glassblowers use.

They have a page with COE charts by manufacturer. None of them are an exact 90 or 96, but I guess you could get the clear from them too.
rodney

Post by rodney »

yes, i think this is it,,,KUGLER COLORS,,,not sure, anyone else out there have any idea on this,,,,thanks,rodney
quill

Post by quill »

Yes, Kugler is used in glassblowing mainly so many of the colors are very concentrated for blowing out. There is also Gaffer glass - http://www.gafferglass.com/
& Reichenbach Glass. I am sure there are others. The COEs varies from about 90 to 96. That info is readily available if you need to know it.I do use some in my lampwork beads, mainly the reduction frits.
rodney

Post by rodney »

are these types of glass what is used to make enamel

thanks
rodney
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

rodney wrote:are these types of glass what is used to make enamel

thanks
rodney
No. What do you have in mind to do? Do you want to turn clear sheet glass into intensely colored transparent glass via application of powder mixtures?

At any rate, commercially available enamels are not simply fritted powders of intense colored glass. They're mixtures of frits, fluxes and metallic oxides that vitrify at a lower temperature than typical glass recipes.
rodney

Post by rodney »

thanks for that info,,,,what i have in mind is taking the 90coe scrap that i get for about 75cents/lb (if anyone knows where to get it cheaper, i would appreciate that) and mix the super saturated frit with the clear frit, to make a transparent colored clear,,,any ideas, seems like it would work

thanks
rodney
Brock

Post by Brock »

rodney wrote:thanks for that info,,,,what i have in mind is taking the 90coe scrap that i get for about 75cents/lb (if anyone knows where to get it cheaper, i would appreciate that) and mix the super saturated frit with the clear frit, to make a transparent colored clear,,,any ideas, seems like it would work

thanks
rodney
What you're proposing won't make a transparent colour.

It'll make clear, with little blue bits in it. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Pat Zmuda

Post by Pat Zmuda »

Rodney:

You can take a small amount (a few teaspoons full depending on the saturation you want to acheive) of Kugler POWDER (or Bullseye powder, for that matter), mix with a small amount a gum arabic and then mix with clear large frit. The powder/gum arabic mixture will coat the frit and will produce the diluted color when fired.

I have done this with Kugler powders and Bullseye frit to make colors for pate de verre.

Hope this helps.

Pat
rodney

Post by rodney »

Pat Zmuda wrote:Rodney:

You can take a small amount (a few teaspoons full depending on the saturation you want to acheive) of Kugler POWDER (or Bullseye powder, for that matter), mix with a small amount a gum arabic and then mix with clear large frit. The powder/gum arabic mixture will coat the frit and will produce the diluted color when fired.

I have done this with Kugler powders and Bullseye frit to make colors for pate de verre.

Hope this helps.

Pat
hey there, i think it helps alot,,,,but what is the size of the frit,,,,what if i mix the glue and powder with the powdered clear, will this make a more consistant color,,,i can see what brock is saying about the tiny pieces of color in the clear,,,but then again,,,would these flecks of color mix to be more consistant if the temp was high and held for a period of time
,,,,,,i really am looking for more of a consistant color, that than an inconsistant look,,,,thanks,,,,i appreciate the help,,,rodney
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

copper oxide will yield turquoise. In my experience, none of the other oxides are or much use.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

I have not much experience with colors,
I prefer clear glass.

However, for casting I have mixed frits.
Transparent blue powder with <2 mm clear frit.
Ratio 50/50 gives apparently uniform color in 8-15 mm thick piece.
<2mm color with <2mm clear gives speckled color in less than 1 cm thickness.

Opaque blue BE nr 1 frit in clear blue gives a deep translucent color. You can see into the glass.

The place where I buy my frit makes it for glass blowers,
and prefers strong "Kugler-like" colors. That is why
I have to dilute it.

An apparently even color I get when I fill a layer of color
and on top of that clear, can be coarse, even cullets.
The result is a sheet with about 1 mm color against clear.

Colored lists are on my purchase list on next payday.

-lauri

P.s. One beautiful piece came out when I melted Pint glass
of my glassblowing friend. She works with clear, marvers
the color on surface. The cullets were punty pint, marble size globs.

melted to a 8 mm sheet, the different colors formed weils inside the glass. Opposite to uniform but nice.
Pat Zmuda

Post by Pat Zmuda »

Rodney:

Brock was, I think, replying to your comment about mixing colored FRIT with clear FRIT/SCRAP. If you do that, you'll get "spots" of color. I am suggesting you mix colored POWDER with gum arabic and clear FRIT. This should yield a consistent color, but there are a lot of variables: amount of powder, amount of gum arabic, size of frit, etc. You'll have to experiment. You won't get the saturated color of the powder but a more dilute color, but if I understand correctly, that is what you are looking for. You should get translucent, not transparent--remember, there are all those tiny bubbles when casting frit.

As to size of frit, I have used all the sizes of Bullseye frit for this process. I am not talking about chunks of clear scrap. If that's what you plan on using, I think you will have to break it down to "frit" sizes.

Pat in Chicago