Amended Challenge - Page 4 - WarmGlass.com

Amended Challenge

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Tony Smith, Brad Walker

Post Reply
Brock
Posts: 1519
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:32 pm
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

Postby Brock » Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:18 am

darenest wrote:Is this challenge open to anyone of just the professionals here?


Darci


ANYONE!

Koan - It's only a clique if you think it is - Master Bobo
Last edited by Brock on Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .

Jackie Beckman
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:01 pm
Location: Arizona
Contact:

Postby Jackie Beckman » Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:19 am

darenest wrote:Is this challenge open to anyone of just the professionals here?


Darci


By all means Darci, it's open to everyone! The more the merrier. Please join in.

Jackie

Amy on Salt Spring
Posts: 270
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:43 pm
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Contact:

Postby Amy on Salt Spring » Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:30 am

Brock wrote:[How about a radical departure from your "Vanishing Limks" series, and do something with "Animals We Eat"!
CarniBoy


:? :( :shock: :x :cry: :evil: :| :-X :doubt: [-( =; :-s :-#

dee
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:20 pm
Location: Atlanta GA
Contact:

Postby dee » Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:41 pm

Tony Smith wrote:I'm in... now I have to figure how to do a piece with no sandblasting, no texture and bright colors.... hmmmm :-k

Tony


LOL tony, i just returned from a bead show, am so tired i can barely keep my eyes open or coordinate the fingers and this thread has now caught my attention - if you need color holler! i've got plenty ;) i need to think on no color, no dichro and soemthing...
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com

Havi
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:01 am
Location: Israel
Contact:

Postby Havi » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:25 am

With your permission, I wanted to add few words to your very exciting project.
a. I guess one could just take one of his/her pieces considered typical, and just do this piece upside down.......It might be easier for some people.

b. I think that this is a very interesting project and should be sort of "immortalised", not only sold at the auction but -
Show every participant's typical work versus the non typical - i.e. the project.
You could make an exhibition out of all of these - a virtual exhibition on the web, or a real one - in life
Alternatively your next calendar could include all these works put together.

I think that the effect of the project as a whole, would be much more than the sum of the works.

Good luck, and I shall be happy to watch....
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
Image
http://www.havivaz.com

Phil Hoppes
Posts: 297
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Overgaard, AZ

Postby Phil Hoppes » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:05 am

heruviva wrote:Show every participant's typical work versus the non typical - i.e. the project.
You could make an exhibition out of all of these - a virtual exhibition on the web, or a real one - in life


This is a good idea. Lots of us are familiar with each others work but I'm willing to bet not all and without the original for comparison unless one know's the reference point, it's difficult to appreciate the journey one took to the opposite.

Everbodys thoughts?

Phil

Dani
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:17 pm
Contact:

Postby Dani » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:51 am

dee wrote:
Tony Smith wrote:I'm in... now I have to figure how to do a piece with no sandblasting, no texture and bright colors.... hmmmm :-k

Tony


LOL tony, i just returned from a bead show, am so tired i can barely keep my eyes open or coordinate the fingers and this thread has now caught my attention - if you need color holler! i've got plenty ;) i need to think on no color, no dichro and soemthing...
D


GASP..... I'm having major anxiety thinking of some way to use dichro... along with the gold leaf. Eeeeeeeeeeek! :wink:

Brock
Posts: 1519
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:32 pm
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

Postby Brock » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:56 am

Phil Hoppes wrote:
heruviva wrote:Show every participant's typical work versus the non typical - i.e. the project.
You could make an exhibition out of all of these - a virtual exhibition on the web, or a real one - in life


This is a good idea. Lots of us are familiar with each others work but I'm willing to bet not all and without the original for comparison unless one know's the reference point, it's difficult to appreciate the journey one took to the opposite.

Everbodys thoughts?

Phil


It's a great idea, to have some sort of show with these pieces, (assuming that they actually get made) but finding a venue for this type of vanity show will be difficult, if not impossible.

Everyone who's intetested should force themselves to work contra to their comfort zone. That process will be it's own reward. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .

Bert Weiss
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:06 am
Location: Chatham NH
Contact:

Postby Bert Weiss » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:12 pm

Perhaps Brad could provide a room in the online gallery for a digital exhibit of these pieces.

Hey this gives me an idea that Brad could find a person willing to do a photo shoot/workshop at the conference. This would be of great interest to everybody at the conference as we all are challenged by the photo thing. I'm sure that conference participants would be glad to do the photographer's assistant thing and move stuff around so the photographer can focus on shooting the pieces. A black and a white backdrop could be set up...
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions

Annah James
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:11 am
Location: Eugene, OR
Contact:

Postby Annah James » Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:12 pm

I should always check this board at least once a week - this is too much fun! I love the idea.

So for me, opposite would be small, represtational, and non-functional...I'm in.

Avery - I may need help before your class....!

Annah

This whole project reminds me of a quote I have up in my studio:

"What matters to the soul are the fire of intent, the experience of process, and the nonjudgemental passion of the experience." -Juliet Wood

Avery Anderson
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:21 pm
Location: Cheshire. Oregon
Contact:

Postby Avery Anderson » Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:56 pm

Annah James wrote:Avery - I may need help before your class....!



Hi Annah:

Absolutely! Just call or send me a private email. I'm here for a couple more weeks...will be away the 2nd and 3rd week of May teaching.

Avery

Dani
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:17 pm
Contact:

Postby Dani » Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:16 pm

Could this be a "Before and After Challenge" calendar concept? For next year's edition? :idea:

Brock
Posts: 1519
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:32 pm
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

Postby Brock » Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:17 pm

Dani wrote:Could this be a "Before and After Challenge" calendar concept? For next year's edition? :idea:


Could be! Are you going to organize it? Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .

Dani
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:17 pm
Contact:

Postby Dani » Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:23 pm

I think if it happens again under the Warmglass banner, it should be completely in Brad's control. After all, the final product reflects on him more than upon the rest of us. Your thoughts, Brad?

Brock
Posts: 1519
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:32 pm
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

Postby Brock » Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:31 pm

Dani wrote:I think if it happens again under the Warmglass banner, it should be completely in Brad's control. After all, the final product reflects on him more than upon the rest of us. Your thoughts, Brad?


I think Chip did all the work, so if there's gonna be another calendar, someone has to take Chip's place. Are you gonna do it? Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .

Jackie Beckman
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:01 pm
Location: Arizona
Contact:

Postby Jackie Beckman » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:07 pm

Here is an updated list. Remember, if you don't want to be on it and you are, let me know. Same applies if you want to join in. Just post it in this thread and I'll add your name.

1. Jackie

2 Brock

3. Barbara M

4. Lisa A

5. Havi

6. Dani

7. Linda R

8. Tony

9. Bert

10. Bill Z

11. Amy (Milwaukee)

12. Doc Steve

13. Cliff Swanson

14. Phil Hoppes

15. Ron C

16. Rosanna

17. Charlie S

18. Avery

19. Robin Z

20. Susan B

21. Darci

22. Dee

23. Annah James

I was hoping that when the pieces are finished and posted in the Photo section we would then be able to ask participants how their piece differed from their normal work, for those whose work we are unfamiler with. But, Phil and Bert have better ideas about posting both regular and alter photos of people's work. Now if we can just get Brad to go along with it, that would be great. By the way Brad, did you see the question about where and when you'd like pieces sent for those choosing to donate theirs to the auction?

Brad Walker
Site Admin
Posts: 1356
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:33 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA
Contact:

Postby Brad Walker » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:48 pm

Jackie Beckman wrote:By the way Brad, did you see the question about where and when you'd like pieces sent for those choosing to donate theirs to the auction?


Actually, no, I didn't see the question. Didn't see this thread either. Just came to check it out because someone warned me that I'd been volunteered.

It's a bit early to give out an address for auction donations, but I'll get one out this July/August. It'll most likely either be the hotel or my address in Clemmons, depending on how much the hotel charges to store stuff.

I have no problem with posting photos of finished work online, but do have a problem with spending a lot of time organizing an event like this. If someone wants to take the lead on it (kind of like the magnet exchange or Chip's calendar, where we have a clear central figure), I'm willing to help.

But not coordinate! Someone else will have to do that.

Jackie Beckman
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:01 pm
Location: Arizona
Contact:

Postby Jackie Beckman » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:01 am

Brad Walker wrote:
Jackie Beckman wrote:By the way Brad, did you see the question about where and when you'd like pieces sent for those choosing to donate theirs to the auction?


Actually, no, I didn't see the question. Didn't see this thread either. Just came to check it out because someone warned me that I'd been volunteered.

It's a bit early to give out an address for auction donations, but I'll get one out this July/August. It'll most likely either be the hotel or my address in Clemmons, depending on how much the hotel charges to store stuff.

I have no problem with posting photos of finished work online, but do have a problem with spending a lot of time organizing an event like this. If someone wants to take the lead on it (kind of like the magnet exchange or Chip's calendar, where we have a clear central figure), I'm willing to help.

But not coordinate! Someone else will have to do that.


I would never want to cause you any extra work, Brad, especially at the time of year when you're getting ready for the WGW. I just figured that the auction is a yearly event at the WGW anyway, isn't it? And these would just be added into whatever you already had planned for the auction. There are about 23 interested people (so far) and I'm sure only about half will want to actually part with their "Alter-Creation" so I just figured they could send them to wherever you planned on having the rest of the pieces sent.

Other than that, I don't see any "event" that needs organizing, really. We'll post the photos, hopefully with an additional shot of the person's "normal" style of work also. We can talk about what we've done that makes them contrary to our common style of working, etc. If we have a seperate place to do that, great - if not, surely it can be done in the Photos section, as originally planned.

You sound a little like you got volunteered for a job without consent, but I assure you that wasn't my intention, nor does it seem we really need you to do anything for us, other than tell us where the regular auction items are going, and we'll send ours their too.

I hope this isn't something that has caused you any stress. :oops: All I can see it doing, as far as your part is concerned, is having a dozen or so more items to include in the auction. If you rather we just post pictures rather than donate the pieces, naturally, that is up to you.

Meanwhile, wherever they end up, lets all keep thinking about what we're going to do for this challenge - it's a great project for learning and expanding your horizons no matter where the pieces go.

Jackie

Dani
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:17 pm
Contact:

Postby Dani » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:02 am

Jackie Beckman wrote:Here is an updated list. Remember, if you don't want to be on it and you are, let me know. Same applies if you want to join in. Just post it in this thread and I'll add your name.

1. Jackie

2 Brock

3. Barbara M

4. Lisa A

5. Havi

6. Dani

7. Linda R

8. Tony

9. Bert

10. Bill Z

11. Amy (Milwaukee)

12. Doc Steve

13. Cliff Swanson

14. Phil Hoppes

15. Ron C

16. Rosanna

17. Charlie S

18. Avery

19. Robin Z

20. Susan B

21. Darci

22. Dee

23. Annah James

I was hoping that when the pieces are finished and posted in the Photo section we would then be able to ask participants how their piece differed from their normal work, for those whose work we are unfamiler with. But, Phil and Bert have better ideas about posting both regular and alter photos of people's work. Now if we can just get Brad to go along with it, that would be great. By the way Brad, did you see the question about where and when you'd like pieces sent for those choosing to donate theirs to the auction?


I'm going to bow out of this... I just got a great commission that will keep me plenty busy until Fall... and Russian iconography is enough of a change from my usual style to be plenty challenging! Cheerio!

Brad Walker
Site Admin
Posts: 1356
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:33 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA
Contact:

Postby Brad Walker » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:15 am

Jackie Beckman wrote:I hope this isn't something that has caused you any stress. :oops: All I can see it doing, as far as your part is concerned, is having a dozen or so more items to include in the auction. If you rather we just post pictures rather than donate the pieces, naturally, that is up to you.

Meanwhile, wherever they end up, lets all keep thinking about what we're going to do for this challenge - it's a great project for learning and expanding your horizons no matter where the pieces go.


Nope, no stress. And I'm all for auction donations.

And I agree it's a great project for expanding your horizons.


Post Reply

Return to “Techniques and Tools”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests

Warm Glass

2575 Old Glory Road, Suite 700
Suite 700
Clemmons, NC 27012
Phone: (336) 712 8003
Email: wg@warmglass.com