cress fx-27p kiln info?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Liam

cress fx-27p kiln info?

Post by Liam »

I've found info on fx-27, but cant figure out what the p means on fx-27p.
I'm planning on buying this kiln at auction tomorow so if anybody knows speak up soon.

Thanks
Liam

ps my wife thinks I'm buying it for her cermaics. shhhhhh
W.W.S.D.
(what would spab do)
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Don't know if they're open Saturday but you could call Cress at 800-423-4584 and ask.

My guess is the P means it has a Pyrometer, but that's just a guess.
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Liam,
I have repaired this kiln. It does not have a pryometer. I have no idea what the difference between the 23 and the 23P. When cress sent me the wiring diagram it was the same.
It has a kiln setter, a time limit and also an interesting knob that controlls the percent of power that it uses.. ie 20%, 30% ect.. I was told by the person what has this kiln is that the knob was a precurser to a computer on ceramic kilns.
If you have any questions about the kiln itself let me know and I can get my wiring diagram out.
It has 4 different elements on the sides. The top and bottom run in parellel and the middle 2 run in parellel. It is 25 amp at 240 volt or 30 amp at 208 amp.

Good luck,
Stuart
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman
Liam

Post by Liam »

Stuart Clayman wrote:Liam,
I have repaired this kiln. It does not have a pryometer. I have no idea what the difference between the 23 and the 23P. When cress sent me the wiring diagram it was the same.
It has a kiln setter, a time limit and also an interesting knob that controlls the percent of power that it uses.. ie 20%, 30% ect.. I was told by the person what has this kiln is that the knob was a precurser to a computer on ceramic kilns.
If you have any questions about the kiln itself let me know and I can get my wiring diagram out.
It has 4 different elements on the sides. The top and bottom run in parellel and the middle 2 run in parellel. It is 25 amp at 240 volt or 30 amp at 208 amp.

Good luck,
Stuart
Did I say 23p, I meant fx-27P, I don't quite get the "thumb wheel" thing which is addition to the infinite controle. But from what I can figure out is that it increases or decreases power to get a more even ramp. Pretty cool little detail if I understand it right.
I will need a wiring diagram since there's no way I can read this one from cress.
http://www.cressmfg.com/newpage39.htm

paralel elements, interesting.

the plate on the side says its 240v but only 27 amp. Can that be right? Will it do cone 10 if that's the amp rating. Cress lists the regular 27p at 48 amps.
W.W.S.D.
(what would spab do)
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Sorry,
My fault. Yes you did say 27P. There is a 23P on Ebay for about $150 now.
My understanding of the thumb control is for you to control the percent of power that they kiln will be using. ie 20% or 50% or 80%. This is a way that you can slow up the firing process,.. ie changing from 9999 to say 100°/hr or 300/hr.
I maybe be wrong but I think that you will need to be at the kiln to change the setting for when you want full power..
Yes, the 27 amps can be correct. As I said the 23P used a 25 amp outlet and this one would need a 30 amp outlet.
I made a mistake.. the elements run in Serial. There is a lead from a relay to 1 end of each one and then a wire running between the other ends of the 2. So, if one goes out, the other goes out.
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman
Liam

Post by Liam »

So I had a second look at the electrical plate on the kiln.
Its says 220V 3PH, which sounds like 3 phase to me, but at 220V? I don't get it, so I let it go. I counted 6 element sets, which kind of lines up with the 3 phase thing too. It went for $325, what a steal, but no good to me at 3 phase.
Thanks for your help anyways

Liam
W.W.S.D.
(what would spab do)