glass block

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

slats

glass block

Post by slats »

Has anyone tried to make a hole in a glass block used for building? Is it temered glass? What is the best way to try this?
Bert Weiss

Re: glass block

Post by Bert Weiss »

doctac wrote:Has anyone tried to make a hole in a glass block used for building? Is it temered glass? What is the best way to try this?

Not tempered, Diamond core drill. You will have to remove the glass dust from the drilling.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
lohman

Post by lohman »

What a timely question.

Last week I started recycling glass block into vases, small aquariums and terrariums.What I want to do next is drill a small hole near the top of the "back" side in order to hang the block on the wall.

Bert is correct. I determined if the blocks were tempered (not) by smashing one with a hammer in order to see how the glass breaks.
As you drill you should ease up on the pressure on your drill press. Since there is no support under the glass you are drilling, it's easy to push through with too much force and you'll get a less that clean edge on the inside.

I've posted one jpeg on my yahoo photo album. You'll see one album labeled "Glass Blocks"

http://photos.yahoo.com/eugenelohman
charlie

Post by charlie »

sandblasted would work too
Carla Fox

Post by Carla Fox »

lohman wrote:What a timely question.

Last week I started recycling glass block into vases, small aquariums and terrariums.What I want to do next is drill a small hole near the top of the "back" side in order to hang the block on the wall.

I've posted one jpeg on my yahoo photo album. You'll see one album labeled "Glass Blocks"

http://photos.yahoo.com/eugenelohman
I can't find Glass Block here.

And a question....I understand how to drill a small hole in it with a diamnod drill......but how to you enlarge it enough to make a vase? I have one I purchased years ago and the hole is apx 1.5" x 3". It also looks like it was fire polished after the hole was cut.

Carla
lohman

Post by lohman »

Carla,
There should be an album labeled "Glass Blocks". It's there when I click on the link.

Size of hole? I used a 2" diamond core drill bit. The first blocks I've drilled are not fire polished but I do intend to polish future drilled blocks.

I also bought a small glass block vase a few years ago at a Goodwill Store. The opening is oval and is polished so I think it was made as a vase and not a glass block "retro-fitted" to become a vase.

Please try the link again to my yahoo photo album. If it doesn't work for you I can email you with a jpeg attachment.